Britain is the most indebted nation!

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Mon Nov 21 16:29:22 GMT 2011

This should make George Osborne happy!  8-o

Updated report by McKinsey --
http://www.mckinsey.com/mgi/reports/freepass_pdfs/debt_and_deleveraging/debt_and_deleveraging_updated_analysis_report.pdf

Main doc --
http://www.mckinsey.com/mgi/reports/freepass_pdfs/debt_and_deleveraging/debt_and_deleveraging_full_report.pdf

Robert Peston's analysis provides the simplified digest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15820601
UK's debts 'biggest in the world'
BBC News, 21 November 2011

At the beginning of 2010, I highlighted a fascinating analysis by the
consultants McKinsey called Debt and Deleveraging, which showed quite how
indebted the economies of the developed west had become.

McKinsey said that the UK had by 2008 become the most indebted of all the big
rich economies, more indebted even than debt-engulfed Japan.

{snip}

According to the consulting firm, by the end of March this year, the aggregate
indebtedness of the UK - that's the sum of household debts, company debts,
government debts and bank debts - had risen to 492% of GDP, or almost five
times the value of everything we produce in a single year.

That compares with 481% at the end of 2008.

So the UK's total indebtedness has increased, and is still the biggest
relative to GDP of any of the big economies. That said, Japanese indebtedness
is pretty much the same size - at the end of 2010, as opposed to the end of
March 2011, Mckinsey says Japan's debts were also 492% of GDP.

US indebtedness is less, at 282% of GDP by the middle of this year, down from
296% in December 2008.

{snip}

:-(

P.

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc