We don't need markets - we need housing

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Nov 29 01:47:42 GMT 2011

Gould-Werritty: A Real Conspiracy, Not a Theory
http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2011/11/gould-werritty-a-real-conspiracy-not-a-theory/

We don't need markets - we need housing
Wednesday 23 November 2011
by Jeremy Corbyn
http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/news/content/view/full/112300

Grant Shapps got up on Monday and laid out the
brave new Tory world for the future of housing in this country.

True to Tory traditions, his whole narrative is
about owner occupation and relieving the housing
market from its current impasse.

It is strange how Tories always talk in terms of
markets and values - not housing needs or stress that people face.

The Tories, ever since Disraeli, have attempted
to create a "property-owning democracy," and thus
in Britain we have a much higher than European
average of owner occupation, much higher levels
of debt and, now that the market is "failing,"
much greater levels of insecurity in housing.

On average, ordinary people in Britain spend far
more on housing than anywhere else in Europe.

The Tory solution to 700,000 empty properties,
record applications for council housing, highest
ever private-sector rents and refusal of publicly
supported banks to lend money to first time
buyers? Apart from starting from the point that
it is all Labour's fault, is essentially that the
only thing that matters is boosting owner occupation and private renting.

New Labour paved the way for much of this by
undermining council housing, promoting housing
associations and buy-to-rent and not protecting private tenants sufficiently.

They propose to spend a great deal of money
supporting the private sector - £400 million for
a start - selling publicly-owned land and then
what they politely call "reform" of the social sector.

Before they ever discuss council housing they
always assert the rents are subsidised - they are
not - and that the buildings are subsidised - they are not.

Council housing is a successful example of public
enterprise with 60 year loans to local
authorities to build and develop and manage
properties with appropriate rents at an economic level.

Typically the private rented sector rents in
London are two or three times those of councils,
often for identical properties bought under right to buy.

So what is in store? The Tories - with
enthusiastic Lib Dem support - want to promote
home ownership which, while not wrong in itself,
should not be the only option for many who
currently spend huge proportions of their income
on private rented unless in huge stress.

We need to do three things - ensure that empty
homes are brought into use, see that private
tenants are protected and, above all, make sure
more new and refurbished homes are built for council tenants.

The white paper does provide some opportunities
for ensuring homes are bought into use through a
process known as Empty Dwelling Management
Orders, but one has a suspicion that the
government's intention in this does not include
the scandal of the super rich buying mansions
around London as a hedge against any depreciation
in their financial assets in the future.

The same government used its majority to
criminalise squatting, even of properties that
have been deliberately left empty for a very long
time. The House of Lords is now considering what to do about that proposal.

The White Paper makes much of increasing council
house sale discounts to possibly as high as 50
per cent, which even Thatcher stopped short of.

Shapps now proposes to go as high as a maximum of
70 per cent discount because, and I quote, "we
are now determine to reverse this include and
reinvigorate the policy to give a new generation
the opportunity of home ownership."

In his statement Shapps went out of his way to
assert that for every council house sold under
right to buy there would be a one-for-one replacement.

Simple maths tells me that if a property is sold
for less than half of its value, it's very
difficult to see how there will be enough funds
available for a one-for-one replacement.

The white paper makes a curious assertion: "Our
initial model shows that the expected receipts
will provide a sufficient contribution to the cost of replacement homes."

It's extremely unclear where the finance is going
to come from for replacing the sold homes.

Behind all this is an attempt to continually
increase council rents to "market" level and
reduce lifetime tenant opportunities to five-yearly reviewable tenancies.

Their aim is to make council housing the housing
of last resort, rather than the secure and
permanent communities that have been achieved by
90 years of council house development in Britain.

Sometimes in my job I feel as though I'm living
in a parallel universe. On Tuesday I attended a
meeting of the All Party Private Tenants Group
which entertained a delegation from the
Residential Landlord's Association to receive a
report from professor of urban and property
economics at the Henley Business School Michael Ball.

The assembled company of landlords and officials
of the association presented a report which
claimed that "current returns of the private
sector are extremely low and likely to remain so.
The resultant damage to the private rented sector
could be huge because the availability and cost
of private rented accommodation depends upon
landlords making viable returns on their investments."

In a lengthy report which shows that private
rented housing has gone up from 8 per cent to 16
per cent of total housing stock in the past seven
years, mortgage interest rates have more than
halved during that period and rent levels have
risen way above inflation, it is difficult to
have any sympathy for the plight of this sector.

More disturbingly, in the analysis presented by
Professor Ball, more than a third of
private-sector tenants stay in a property for
less than a year, and last year alone more than a
million private renters moved.

In areas like Islington North, a private sector
now accounts for almost a third of all households
who typically pay very high rents for short term tenancies.

In my experience in London, the worst affected
people are those in desperate housing need who
approach the local authorities who, under
homeless legislation, are obliged to rehouse
them. As they so often have insufficient stock of
their own, they place them in private rented
flats through an agency. The rents for these
flats are often astronomical and the conditions
poor, with much energy inefficiency.

At the moment rent is paid by housing benefit,
but with the government's cap on these payments
and the proposed overall cap on benefit levels,
many of these families are losing their homes and
are being forced to move well away from areas
where their children go to school or their wider family and friends live.

The scandal of children growing up in overcrowded
and unheated accommodation is serious, and
damaging a whole generation of children's lives.

What a wasted opportunity this white paper is.

We should be promoting house building for those
in desperate need, affordable mortgages for young
people who want to buy but, above all, developing
council housing to provide long-term and
economically viable secure tenancies for people in desperate need.

This minister seems more interested in allowing
the private sector to further develop the housing
market rather than deal with the housing needs of
those on waiting lists or in poor quality accommodation.

Jeremy Corbyn is MP for Islington North

If you have enjoyed this article then please
consider donating to the Morning Star's Fighting
Fund to ensure we can keep publishing your paper.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6