Occupy LSX - nine point statement

marknbarrett at googlemail.com marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 22 22:02:42 BST 2011

#OccupyLSX – Initial statement
Posted on October 16, 2011 by occupylsx
http://occupylsx.org/?p=221

At today’s assembly of over 500 people on the steps of St Paul’s, #occupylsx collectively agreed the initial statement below. Please note, like all forms of direct democracy, the statement will always be a work in progress.

1 The current system is unsustainable. It is undemocratic and unjust. We need alternatives; this is where we work towards them.

2 We are of all ethnicities, backgrounds, genders, generations, sexualities dis/abilities and faiths. We stand together with occupations all over the world.

3 We refuse to pay for the banks’ crisis.

4 We do not accept the cuts as either necessary or inevitable. We demand an end to global tax injustice and our democracy representing corporations instead of the people.

5 We want regulators to be genuinely independent of the industries they regulate.

6 We support the strike on the 30th November and the student action on the 9th November, and actions to defend our health services, welfare, education and employment, and to stop wars and arms dealing.

7 We want structural change towards authentic global equality. The world’s resources must go towards caring for people and the planet, not the military, corporate profits or the rich.

8 We stand in solidarity with the global oppressed and we call for an end to the actions of our government and others in causing this oppression.

9 This is what democracy looks like. Come and join us!

The 9 point statement produced within 24 hours of the occupation starting is exceptionally good - it covers all the bases without boxing us into a corner. It can be fleshed out as time passes according to need and consensus. By the way, in case u missed it we now have a second camp on Finsbury Square,  a lovely green space near Moorgate station :-) up the real democracy rev! X