Mass sleep out Mon eve (31st) against the Government's Criminalisation of Squatting

mark at tlio.org.uk mark at tlio.org.uk
Sat Oct 29 18:14:47 BST 2011

Members of the Land is Ours will be able to have a follow-up Autumn
Gathering meeting at the following action this coming MONDAY evening
(31st OCTOBER) in Central London, as part of a MASS SLEEP OUT

MEET AT HIGH STREET KENSINGTON TUBE – EVENING STANDARD HQ 6.30PM

THERE WILL BE A NEARBY (PUMPKIN) SOUP KITCHEN AND STREET
ENTERTAINMENT, BRING YOUR SLEEPINGBAG, CARDBOARD, AND WARM CLOTHES!

CRITICAL MASS (BIKES) MEET AT WATERLOO 7PM

TUESDAY 1st NOVEMBER: ON MASS REGISTRATION OF HOMELESSNESS

9AM OUTSIDE WESTMINSTER HOUSING OPTIONS SERVICE, 101 ORCHARDSON
STREET, NW8.

THIS ACTION IS TO SYMBOLISE THE POTENTIAL IMPACT OF CRIMINALISING
SQUATTING ON THE ALREADY STRETCHED HOMELESSNESS SERVICES

This is in response to the Government attempting to sneak through the
criminalisation of squatting, through attaching an amendment onto the
Legal Aid and Sentencing Bill which will be voted on in Parliament
this Tuesday 1st November. This is despite the fact that legislation
already exists to protect residents from having their home squatted,
namely Section 7 of the Criminal Law Act 1977 in which it is already a
criminal offence to squat someone’s home.

Over 95% of responses to the ‘consultation’ on squatting were against
further criminalisation, despite this the government is still going
ahead with their proposals – effectively bypassing democracy.

A recent study by Sheffield Hallam University said ending so-called
squatter's rights would criminalise homeless people who usually
occupied disused or abandoned properties as a last resort after being
turned away from hostels and shelters.

SQUASH have tried engaging with the democratic processes but despite
overwhelming support to not criminalise squatting we have been
ignored.

Our only rational response now is to call for people to TAKE ACTION.
We have been forced into this position. See you on the streets!
Source:
http://www.squashcampaign.org/2011/10/out-of-the-squats-and-into-the-streets/