And next!... Bonfire of the environmental regulations!

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Mon Sep 5 13:27:23 BST 2011

On Friday, August 26, 2011 01:03:53 am Paul Mobbs wrote:
> [PS: Watch Richard Benyon over at DEFRA for the next few months -- if this
> pans out further I think he's next in line to make some announcements on
> relaxing environmental protection rules in the name of "cutting red tape"
> -- beyond watering down village green registration proposals that is]

Well, almost right!

As I expected DEFRA's next, in a joint process with DECC. Instead of taking
the consultation a sector at a time, they're doing ALL! environmental and
countryside regulations in one go -- in the name of "cutting red tape". DECC
isn't really taking part in this process -- it's largely being run out of
DEFRA, as I noted last month.

This time it's all the regulations governing the environment -- literally,
everything from the dumping of toxic waste and air pollution right through to
the protection of common land and the right to roam. Literally, there's far
too much to even summarise because it'll take hours of work to read in detail.

For the gory details see --
http://www.redtapechallenge.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/themehome/environment-2/

Find the joint DECC/DEFRA letter at --
http://archive.defra.gov.uk/corporate/about/how/documents/red-tape-challenge-
environment-110901.pdf

DEFRA has ongoing reviews into the regulation of farming, waste and forestry;
details from --
http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/about/how/regulation/

Enjoy! (not!!).

What the strategy is here is to create the biggest smokescreen possible so
that the regulations which they really do want to get rid of attract less
attention. So, for example, consult on *everything* and it divides people's
attention. In contrast, if they were to consylt just on relaxing certain farm
welfare or waste management regulations, they'd get more target responses.

As I said before, this is a well thought out strategy.

P.

--

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc