Planning agenda unravelling...

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Wed Sep 7 16:18:19 BST 2011

Three new developments on the planning reform agenda:

Firstly, waste management seems to be an area where there's a lot of interest
in liberalising controls over development. E.g., various headings today about
a "Parliamentary group" and their report on waste planning. It isn't a proper
Parliamentary body, it's the Associate Parliamentary Sustainable Resource
Group -- a corporate lobby group that includes MPs and waste industry
representatives. Its reports are commissioned/backed by industry but not
publicly debated in Parliamentary fora.

See their site at http://www.policyconnect.org.uk/apsrg

The new report, "Rubbish to Resource: Financing New Waste Infrastructure" is
online at
http://www.policyconnect.org.uk/sites/default/files/Rubbish%20to%20Resource%20Financing%20New%20Waste%20Infrastructure.pdf

For summary see ‘Action needed now’ to secure waste plant investment, Lets
Recycle, 6th September 2011 -- http://www.letsrecycle.com/news/latest-
news/waste-management/2018action-needed-now2019-to-secure-waste-plant-
investment

Secondly, according to the Torygraph, Ministers are not waiting the for the
new planning reforms to be consulted upon/agreed by Parliament. Guidance to
inquiry inspectors has reportedly been changed to implement the changes ASAP!

See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/countryside/8745764/New-planning-laws-
already-in-force.html

See also http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/countryside/8746231/Planning-law-
talks-due-between-National-Trust-and-ministers-as-anger-mounts.html

Finally, National Trust has made it clear what the root of these problems are
- -- "We're not prepared to enter into such talks until we have a clear
statement, from the highest levels of government, clarifying that the planning
system is not there principally to promote economic development."

Perhaps they'll pressure to have the "high and sustained levels of economic
growth" clause removed from the UK's sustainable development strategy too!

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14816864

Ho hum!

P.

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc