'Slaves' rescued by police from travellers' site complain of overreaction

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Sep 13 12:02:56 BST 2011

'We earned £30 a day and were very happy':
'Slaves' rescued by police from travellers' site complain of overreaction

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036601/Bedfordshire-slaves-rescued-police-happy-complain-overreaction.html
Nine of 24 'slaves' are refusing to help with police inquiries, it has emerged
    * One described the five arrests as 'rubbish'
    * Remaining 15 continue to be assessed for medical and welfare needs
    * Four from same family have been charged
with keeping four against their will
    * Alleged victims lured from soup kitchens, benefit offices and hostels
    * Youngest was 17. He has rejoined his family

By Arthur Martin and Nick Fagge  Daily Mail  -  13th September 2011
One of the ‘modern-day slaves’ rescued from a
traveller camp insisted yesterday that he was
happy living in a grubby caravan on £30 a day.
The middle-aged man was one of 24 ‘slaves’ who
were found living in filthy caravans, dog kennels
and horseboxes during a police raid.
But within 24 hours of being rescued, the man
returned to the camp and claimed police were
wrong to intervene because the so-called slaves
were in fact labourers who were happy with their lot.
His testimony is in stark contrast to the
appalling conditions described  by police.
A six-month investigation found that the
vulnerable victims were beaten by their
‘masters’, who stole their possessions and shaved their heads.
They had been lured from soup kitchens, benefit
offices and hostels with promises of paid jobs and shelter, police believe.
More than 200 officers raided the Greenacres
caravan site in Billington, near Leighton Buzzard
in Bedfordshire, in the early hours of Sunday.
Last night, police charged four men from the same
traveller family with keeping four men as slaves.
Tommy Connors, 30, Patrick Connors, 19, James
‘Big Jim’ Connors, 34, and James ‘Jimmy’ Connors,
23, all stand accused of conspiracy to hold four
people in servitude and requiring them to perform forced labour.
Of the 24 men taken to a medical centre after the
raid, nine have left and are refusing to help the
police investigation. The others are still being
treated. One of the ‘slaves’ said yesterday that
the police action was ‘heavy-handed’.
The man, who called himself Dave, said: ‘These
are not slaves, they are workmen. They work for
money, cash in hand, to lay paving.
‘The police told me I couldn’t come back but I
told them it was my home and if I wanted to go back I would go back.’
The man, who is in his 50s, said he had worked
for the Connors family’s building firm Caesar
Construction for 15 years laying paving.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036601/Bedfordshire-slaves-rescued-police-happy-complain-overreaction.html

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung