Planning changes hit the headlines

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Sep 22 23:39:47 BST 2011

Minister moves to reassure planning critics
By Lorraine Turner - LONDON | Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:50pm BST
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/09/22/uk-britain-planning-idUKTRE78L3KE20110922
(Reuters) - Proposals for the biggest shake-up to the building
planning system in decades are not an attempt to trick those who
cherish the nation's countryside, the minister responsible for the
changes said on Thursday.
"They will see when the policy framework is adopted, that all of our
intentions are making sure that we can have homes and jobs and we can
do so in a way that safeguards, what is very precious, our natural
and our historic environment," Planning Minister Greg Clark told Reuters.
Senior ministers said they would press ahead with proposals despite
criticism that it would blight what remains of the nation's dwindling
countryside in favour of greater development.
The government said that changes are vital to help to revive a
faltering economy and to make housing more affordable. It says
planning delays cost the economy 3 billion pounds per year.
Clark, a Conservative, defended the 52-page draft National Planning
Policy Framework (NPPF) on Thursday and suggested that the current
debate is based on a misperception around the government's intentions.
"It's better to make changes that you know are necessary rather than
simply tinker around with a broken system in order to avoid any
controversy," he said, speaking after a presentation at a British
Property Federation event.
"If you start with over 1,000 pages and you come to distillation ...
then inevitably it is the case that not everything is maybe expressed
in the clearest way but that doesn't signal any malign intent or
signal any hidden agenda to subvert the process," he told the seminar.
The Director-General of the National Trust, Fiona Reynolds, said she
had been "horrified by the draft" because the document focussed on
promoting the economy over environmental concerns.
The debate over planning has been centred around one short phrase --
a "presumption in favour of sustainable development," which
government critics say will prompt a free-for-all.
"The intention...is not in any way to provide a loophole through
which alien developments can be progressively imposed, rather the
reverse," Clark said.

U-TURN
But the National Trust's Reynolds argued that the spirit of localism,
which the government is heavily promoting, should enable Local
Authorities to build less, if they so choose.
"Don't tell Local Authorities they have to promote more developments
not less, there will be some Local Authorities who want less because
they are so passionate about their green fields," she said, with the
National Trust boasting nearly 4 million members.
The business community and housebuilding industry fiercely defend the
proposals, which will overhaul the current system that has seen new
homes built in England and Wales dwindle to chronic low levels in recent years.
"This is a country that can ill afford a u-turn on what, at the end
of the day, is a modest and rational plan to speed up rather than
ditch our development control process," said Adam Marshall, director
of policy and external affairs at the British Chamber of Commerce,
speaking at the event.
"This is also a story of small and medium-sized companies who have
lost confidence in the system, due to its ever-greater cost,
complexity, uncertainty, and politicisation," he added.
The recent debate, also fuelled by the Daily Telegraph launching its
"Hands Off Our Land" campaign, urging ministers to rethink the
legislation that is at consultation stage, prompted the Prime
Minister to pen a letter to the National Trust this week to reassure
them that the British landscape should be "cherished and protected."
Clark was upbeat that the planning reform will go ahead -- with the
consultation period set to close on October 17 -- though declined to
comment on whether current criticism around proposals over brownfield
land, housing targets and sustainable development will lead to a
modification of the policy.
"I think (the misperception) is already being corrected through
discussions like this," he told Reuters.
(Reporting by Lorraine Turner)

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered that shall not be
revealed; and nothing hid that shall not be made known. What I tell
you in darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye hear in the
ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27