Camden Council ordered to publicise list of empty homes in borough

mark at tlio.org.uk mark at tlio.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 21:17:47 BST 2011

This happened nearly 2 weeks ago, but don't think it was publisised on
this list, but posting it now because it is a significant judgement:

Squatting campaigners hail judge’s ruling on empty homes
Sept 7th, 2011
Ref:
http://www.squashcampaign.org/2011/09/squatting-campaigners-hail-judge%E2%80%99s-ruling-on-empty-homes/

A judge has ordered that Camden Council must comply with a Freedom of
Information request, and make public a list of empty homes in the
borough. Housing and squatting campaigners celebrated the landmark
judgement, that will have repercussions for the management of
council-owned empty property and which puts pressure on the
governments controversial plans to criminalise squatting.

In her judgement, Judge Fiona Henderson stated that “the public
interest lies in putting empty properties back into use,” and rejected
claims that squatters are a greater source of anti-social behaviour
than rent-paying tenants. She argued that publication of the list
would “bring buildings back into use sooner and the housing needs of
additional people would be met.”

The case had been brought against Camden Council by Yiannis Voyias,
who volunteers with the Advisory Service for Squatters, as part of the
struggle to publicise the number of potential homes currently lying
empty across the country. The judgement will increase pressure on
councils nationwide to make public the amount of long-term empty
property in their jurisdiction, and challenge the government’s current
attempts to criminalise squatting as a means of returning those homes
to use.

Sam Little, campaigner with SQUASH (Squatters’ Action for Secure
Homes) said:

“This is a massively significant judgement, which challenges the basis
of the government’s attacks on squatting. We are in the middle of a
housing crisis, and yet over 700,000 homes are allowed to stand empty.
Criminalising those who use these empty buildings to put a roof over
their heads is completely nonsensical.”

Yiannis Voyias of the A.S.S. said:

“The debate around housing and squatting is constantly clouded by a
lack of facts: this ruling is a victory for transparency and
accountability, which we hope will improve public understanding of
this complex issue. We need an open and honest debate about the
failures of our housing system, which must precede attempts to
criminalise the victims of those failings.”

Notes

     There are currently 42,000 households that are registered
homeless, plus another 50,000 in temporary or insecure accommodation.
It is estimated that there are also another half a million people who
make up the “hidden homeless” :
http://www.squashcampaign.org/docs/SQUASH-Criminalising_The_Vulnerable-May2011.pdf
     There are 700,000 empty properties across the UK: From Empty
Homes Figures 2009:
http://www.emptyhomes.com/usefulresources/stats/statistics.html
     The government’s consultation into the criminalisation of
squatting can be found here:
http://www.justice.gov.uk/consultations/dealing-with-squatters.htm