'Gasland' being shown in Banbury, Wed. 5th October, 7.30pm

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Thu Sep 29 10:33:23 BST 2011

              ++ please forward ++

Films for a Change -- http://www.fraw.org.uk/ideas/

GASLAND

Wednesday 5th October
7.30pm, The Friends Meeting House,
Horsefair, Banbury

Gas "frakking" is happening all across America, and now it's coming to the UK
- -- see: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/shale-gas and
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/sep/21/gas-field-blackpool-dallas-sea
or http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/sep/28/shale-gas-threaten-bath-
springs

Rural landowners wake up one day to find a lucrative offer from an energy
company wanting to lease their property. Reason? The company hopes to tap into
a reservoir dubbed the "Saudi Arabia of natural gas." Halliburton developed a
way to get the gas out of the ground-a hydraulic drilling process called
"fracking"-and suddenly America finds itself on the precipice of becoming an
energy superpower -- but at what cost to the environment?

Banbury is in one of the areas identified in a Government-backed study on shale
gas resources in Britain. Before the film, Paul Mobbs will give a 10 minute
presentation on existing gas frakking developments, and the areas that might
be affected in the future.

Entry to the films is free, but we would welcome a small donation to cover the
costs of running the events.

For further information on the film see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasland
http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc