End of Growth: Adapting to Our New Economics Reality

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Apr 11 11:17:50 BST 2012

End of Growth: Adapting to Our New Economics Reality [Paperback]
Richard Heinberg (Author)
New Society Publishers; Original edition (19 Aug 2011)
http://tinyurl.com/cpu2k4t
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=Heinberg%2C+Richard&title=The+End+of+Growth%3A+Adapting+to+Our+New+Economic+Reality&lang=en&st=xl&ac=qr

Economists insist that recovery is at hand, yet
unemployment remains high, real estate values
continue to sink, and governments stagger under
record deficits. "The End of Growth" proposes a
startling diagnosis: humanity has reached a
fundamental turning point in its economic
history. The expansionary trajectory of
industrial civilisation is colliding with
non-negotiable natural limits. Richard Heinberg's
latest landmark work goes to the heart of the
ongoing financial crisis, explaining how and why
it occurred, and what we must do to avert the
worst potential outcomes. Written in an engaging,
highly readable style, it shows why growth is
being blocked by three factors: resource
depletion; and, environmental impacts and
crushing levels of debt. These converging limits
will force us to re-evaluate cherished economic
theories and to reinvent money and commerce. This
book describes what policy makers, communities,
and families can do to build a new economy that
operates within Earth's budget of energy and
resources. We can thrive during the transition if
we set goals that promote human and environmental
well-being, rather than continuing to pursue the
now-unattainable prize of ever-expanding GDP.

The End of Growth brings together the crises of
Peak Oil, the climate and the financial crash to
give a view of a world that cannot go on living
beyond its limits. It should be required reading
for every politician who talks about a return to
'steady growth'. The good news is that there are
lots of things we can do to prepare for a
radically different future. Start by reading this excellent book!

Richard Heinberg is one of the most clued in
thinkers around. The lack of any questioning of
infinite growth on a finite planet was starting
to bug me big time. The book covers all the major
structural impediments that are causing the end
of growth. The first section about the financial
problems is thorough but doesn't add anything new
if you follow the financial problems and causes
already. Very good overview/crash course if you don't

Emacs!