Tax Exile & Daily Mail proprietor Rothermere's country pile

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Apr 18 22:42:45 BST 2012

Ferne Park, Wiltshire, just East of Shaftsbury & South of the A30
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=opera&q=ferne+park&oe=utf-8&ie=UTF8&hq=ferne+park&hnear=&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=16

The building of a modern Classical 'masterpiece'
Posted on May 8, 2010 - Ferne House, Wiltshire (Image: Q&F Terry, Architects)
http://countryhouses.wordpress.com/2010/05/08/ferne-park-wiltshire-the-building-of-a-modern-classical-masterpiece/
The English country house is considered our
greatest contribution to the field of
architecture – the unified vision of house and
landscape combined with fine interiors, superb
furnishings and exceptional art collections.  Yet
in the 20th-century, it seemed that after Lutyens
we largely lost our ability to excel in their
creation – the new country houses seemed shadows
of our earlier confidence, lacking the grand
flair, and certainly the detailing, which had so
defined the Georgian Classical house.  This was
partially due to financial circumstances but also
due to the influence of modernism which sought to
re-interpret the country house in a new language
– and it often didn’t translate well.
Yet, there are signs that given the right client
and the right architect, we can again create the
sort of country houses which will be admired in
200 years. Country Life magazine this week (5 May
2010) features one of the best country houses to
be built in the last 70 years; Ferne Park in
Wiltshire, winner of the Georgian Group award for
the Best Modern Classical House in 2003.
This is a house built in the finest traditions of
the English country house – with its clear use of
the Palladian vocabulary but skilfully
reinterpreted for the location and the needs of
the client, Lady Rothermere.  The architect
responsible, Quinlan Terry, has been responsible
for some excellent buildings but this may well be
his best.  The new house, built in 2000-2, was on
the site of a previous Georgian mansion called
Ferne House which was demolished in 1965 having
fallen into a poor condition.  By rebuilding on
the same site, Terry had a setting which was
simply waiting for a new house to be created.
The local authority had already set the
requirement that the new house must be Classical
so both client and architect drew on other houses
they knew such as Came House (Dorset) and
Castletown Cox (Ireland), and were able to
develop a distinctive plan for the site.  The
house also cleverly has contrasting fronts with
the dramatic views to the north matched by the
stately columns and pediment, whilst the south,
with the gentler views into Dorset, using a simpler facade.
Ferne Park has revived hope that it is possible
to build a successful Classical house which is
recognisably a continuation of the the glorious
Georgian traditions which have created so many of the houses we love today.

Ferne Park is a modest sized country house
constructed in the English Palladian tradition,
inspired by Came House near Dorchester. The
entrance front has a central giant composite
order and pediment; the garden front on the south
side also has a central pediment but with a
smaller Ionic doorcase. The front door leads into
a large square hall with freestanding Doric
columns. The house stands in a central position
in a park, its four symmetrical elevations
visible from all sides. It is built in Portland
and Chilmark stone. It won the Georgian Group
award for the Best Modern Classical House 2003.
http://www.qftarchitects.com/projects/pages/housesinengland/fernepark.php#
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6