Kerry's Food Waste Bill

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Aug 14 21:36:47 BST 2012

Feeding pigs

I wasn’t sure whether there would be any
opposition to my Food Waste Bill today. In the
past some Tory MPs have been very rude to Vince
Cable about the Groceries Code Adjudicator, and
some are opposed to any form of new regulations
affecting business. Philip Davies, the MP for
Shipley, used to work for ASDA and I expected
that if anyone stepped in to oppose the Bill and
push it to a vote, it would be him, but he wasn’t
in the Chamber. Instead Anne Main, the Tory MP
for St. Albans (who defeated Labour’s very nice
Kerry Pollard in 2005, another Kerry but a man)
stood up to speak, not to oppose the Bill in its
entirety but to raise concerns about my calling
for food that wasn’t fit for human consumption to
then be diverted for livestock feed. She quite
rightly said that it’s illegal to feed some forms
of food waste to livestock. I was aware of that,
and wasn’t of course calling for anything to be
done that is illegal under EU laws, but simply
for the waste hierarchy to be followed as will be
required by the EU Waste Directive by the end of
2013. Here’s a few words that were in an earlier
draft of my speech but had to be deleted for time reasons:

“There are considerable environmental benefits to
be gained from using food waste for animal feed
(for pigs and chickens) including avoided
emissions from producing soya for animal feed,
deforestation, and shipping soy to Europe.
Feeding unwanted food to pigs can save up to 500
times more carbon emissions than using the same
food waste in anaerobic digestion to produce energy.

There is a strong case for reassessing the 2001
decision by the UK and the EU to ban the feeding
of catering and domestic food waste to livestock.
Lifting the ban cannot be included in this Bill
as it would require action at EU level. However,
hundreds of thousands of tonnes of food are being
wasted annually in the UK which can legally be used as livestock feed.

For example, Sainsbury’s recently adopted the
policy of diverting all of its bread waste to
livestock feed, in preference to anaerobic
digestion. And Tesco’s has started to do the
same. One sandwich manufacturer that switched
from anaerobic digestion to livestock feed as a
way of disposing of unwanted bread made savings
of up to £100,000 per year in avoided disposal costs.”

By kerrymccarthy, on March 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm, under #. 4 Comments