Sat25Aug - BRIGHTON - Action4Access walk

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Aug 16 18:51:01 BST 2012

Sent out by Action 4 Access (based in Brighton area):
email: <action4access at gmail.com>

Saturday 25th August

This month we repeat a walk which Dave Bangs led in May 2009 to look
at some Access Land which is very near to built up areas and is
therefore truly accessible and has lots of lovely sites.

Meet at Foredown Tower (Grid ref TQ 256073) at 11am  Bus no 6 leaves
Brighton Station at 10 18 (stop C) and Churchill Square 10 23 Get off
at Foredown Road and it's a 5min walk to Foredown Tower.

We will walk north over Mount Zion and down to the Access Land on the
east slope of New Bank Farm. Dave's notes of the original walk say
that although this has been abused in the past it has a long history
of grazing management.There are certainly lots of downland flowers
and Blue butterflies in a continuous mile-long strip with good stiles
and notices. Then over Fulking Tenantry Down where there are remains
of the medieval field system where the Sussex Border Path and the
South Downs way go through more Access Land on Fulking Hill and the
scarp slope..Then we turn south towards Perching Barn and onto Access
Land at Tenant Hill. Next over Southwick Hill which Dave says is "the
best managed site on the Brighton urban fringe and the best place to
get some sense of what the Downs were like in Victorian times".  From
here we can drop down into Mile Oak to get a (very frequent) no 5 bus
back to Brighton or continue down the Sussex Border path which slips
quietly between houses to the noisy Old Shoreham Road.

  It's an walk with very little cover and no refreshment (or any
other) facilities so remember to bring water, lunch and suncream in
case we get one of our occasional hot and sunny days.

Sussex Downlanders Access Walk
http://stravaigerjohn.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/sussex-downlanders-access-walk/
Saturday 25th August
ACTION FOR ACCESS walking and working for a people's countryside

Walking Britain or Forbidden Britain?
http://www.johnbainbridgewriter.com/
This is the website of the writer and access campaigner John Bainbridge.
Visit often and see my records of UK rambles and campaigning news and
gossip. I am always available for writing and digital photography
commissions, information board and walk leaflet production.
  See our Writing Commissions page for further details or visit my
freelance journalism site which is at http://www.johnbainbridgejournalist.com/
Visit our Walks In Britain page if you are looking for a ramble this
weekend, or our Places page for good places to visit
Many of the pages will give you my outspoken thoughts on the outdoors
scene, access and conservation issues
My philosophy is that the British countryside is the common heritage
of ALL the British people
We should all be free to explore its mountains, hills, woods, rivers
and coasts, with no superstitious reverence for legal property rights
I believe very much in the concept of right to roam.
No man made the land, it is the original inheritance of the whole
species. The land of every country belongs to the people of that
country. John Stuart Mill, 1848
The Forbidden Britain page explains why I believe the British people
should have access to their own country
Sometimes I shall highlight specific areas of Britain from which
walkers are excluded - look at the page for Vixen Tor, the wonderful
Dartmoor landmark now closed to the public.
Vixen Tor is just one of many such landscapes denied to the British
people that I shall tell you about.
The pages on Coastal Access and Woodland Access looks at how the
British people are denied access to some of our finest landscapes
If you know of such places let me know through the site's Guest Book
If you care for the most beautiful places in Britain and want to
really fight to protect them, then this is the site for you
Join me in the fight to keep beautiful Britain wild and free for ever

And remember -
      FIGHT FOR THE FREEDOM TO ROAM
Subscribers to this site receive notification when the site is
updated. Just fill in your email address in the sidebar box on the
right hand side of the screen. Or click on "Share" (on sidebar to
your right, to tell your friends about this site). Or see the Contact
Me button to get in touch.