Daily Mail: On the trail of the land grabbers

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Aug 27 15:55:52 BST 2012

On the trail of the land grabbers: The British
imperialists snapping up swathes of Africa to
cash in on the world's food shortage - and forcing out small farmers

By Fred Pearce

PUBLISHED: 22:00, 11 August 2012 | UPDATED: 22:00, 11 August 2012
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2186946/The-British-land-grabbers-snapping-swathes-African-farmland-cash-worlds-food-shortage.html
http://www.911forum.org.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=21508&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

It is an odd retirement hobby. Britain’s top
soldier, the former commander of British Land
Forces and the man who capped his military career
by presiding over the funeral of the Queen
Mother, has been planting crops in the African bush.

Not personally, you understand.  But Sir Charles
Redmond Watt has been mixing with Chinese
billionaires, Saudi sheiks, Wall Street whizzkids
and a motley array of British adventurers who
agree with the financial guru George Soros that
‘farmland is one of the best investments of our
time’. And for those wanting lots of land,
nothing comes cheaper than a slice of Africa.

I have spent the past two years on the trail of
these land grabbers, who have between them taken
control of an area roughly ten times the size  of
Britain, most of it in Africa. And  I discovered
that Britain is the world’s biggest centre for
private land grabbers. City financiers are the
new imperialists, returning to colonies we walked away from half a century ago.

Emacs!

Harvest time: Huge tractors on a soya bean farm
in Brazil. Farmland is now considered to be one
of the best investments of our time

Upon leaving the Army, Sir Charles, who once
commanded 125,000 military personnel, became
chairman of a shell company, Las Vegas-registered
Kryptic Entertainment, which later changed its name to Farm Lands of Guinea.

The company, set up by British sheep farmer Mark
Keegan, controls 250,000 acres of bush in the
West African state of Guinea, bought on what it
describes as ‘extremely generous’ terms from the
government there. It will plant 8,000 acres of maize and soya this year.

Fellow board member Nigel Woodhouse, a trustee of
Labour peer Lord  Melchett’s Soil Association,
told me one village handed over its land for ‘the equivalent of £3’.

It doesn’t sound much for a company that says it
is ‘unlocking the riches of an African
agricultural treasure trove’, and which is on
such good terms with local leaders that it has
also secured exclusive rights to market a further
3.7 million acres of Guinea – an area roughly the size of Yorkshire.

His job done, Sir Charles resigned from the
outfit last December. He declined to comment on
his African sojourn, but who can doubt that his
prestige helped clinch deals in the former French colony?

Many of the big beasts of British business have
joined the global land rush. Sir Richard Branson,
who famously bought two of the Virgin Islands in
the Caribbean, has now bagged 25,000 acres of
prime South African safari country.

Squeezed out: Zam Zam Juna on her plot in
Tanzania, where a biofuels firm is snapping up farms

Jim Slater, a notorious asset-stripper from the
Seventies, is growing genetically modified maize
on Brazilian prairie once owned by the father of
racing driver Ayrton Senna. City ‘superwoman’
Nicola Horlick is investing the pension funds of
Hampshire and Merseyside councils in Brazilian farmland.

Meanwhile, feted bond trader Guy Hands bought
cattle  stations three times bigger than Wales
from the estate of the legendary TV mogul Kerry
Packer. And Joe Lewis, the owner of Tottenham
Hotspur, has invested a chunk of the fortune he
made betting against sterling two decades ago to
buy a slab of scenic Patagonia.

Then there is Phil Edmonds, England’s wily Test
bowler of the Eighties whom Wisden praised for
his ‘aristocratic manner’. Maybe that manner
helped him persuade the government of Mozambique
to let him have 75,000 acres for growing sugar cane.

But some villagers claimed the land was used
without their consent. When the scheme went
belly-up, he bounced back with a beef ranch on an
area recently cleared of land mines. Will the
master of spin prove a  better cow-puncher than sugar baron?

Farmers need support not an eviction notice

Investors say farmland is the new big thing
because the world is running short of food. They
insist their efforts will be good for Africa,
too, because they bring much-needed investment.

But what I saw was small farmers being bumped off
their land and replaced by big machines. As
Graham Davies, of British investors Altima
Partners, told a conference last year, the ‘vast
majority of investors in Africa are focused on
commercial Western agriculture, largely ignoring
the continent’s 60 million small farmers who produce 80 per cent of its food’.

Instead, I’d like to see investors help those
small farmers grow their businesses. All over
Africa I found peasant farmers experimenting with
new seeds, and selling products such as
vegetables, honey and  milk in the cities – or
even green beans to British supermarkets. What
they need is support, not an eviction notice.

Some of the land grabbers themselves appear to
agree. British farmer James Siggs joined a
venture to run ‘US-style large-scale agricultural
systems’ in the Congo. But he left and now says
‘industrial-scale farming displaces and alienates
people, creates few jobs and causes social disruption’.

Sure, big farm projects could do some good, and
there are people behind them who are genuine.
Peter Bayliss, with whom I had a beer in Liberia, struck me as one of those.

Job done: Former Army chief Sir Charles Watt

He was rehabilitating and expanding a big
palm-oil plantation that the Getty family had
left behind when civil war broke out there 20
years ago. He showed me the clinic he had started, and a new primary school.

Other would-be land grabbers get lost in the
wilderness. British banker Leonard Thatcher’s
Nile Trading and Development company claims 1.5
million acres – about the size of Devon – in Lainya county in South Sudan.

But I have a copy of the lease he signed with a
local chief and provisional government officials.
He can’t possibly have that much land because the
whole of Lainya county is only just over half that size.

Thatcher’s American partner Howard Douglas, a
former ambassador for President Reagan, admitted
to me that there is no map marking Thatcher’s
land. A proper survey was not possible during the
country’s long independence war.

He said: ‘We can renegotiate if necessary.’ But
who with? The chief who signed the lease is one
of four in the county. The others had not signed.
And when the BBC’s local reporter went to
interview him, the chief claimed he didn’t know what he had signed.

There have been several corporate failures in
recent months as the  claims of some land
grabbers – and of the people selling them land –
have rubbed up against reality. Many involve the
new supposed wonder-crop, jatropha, whose berries
can be made into biodiesel. Native farmers have
always regarded it as a weed – now it looks as if they were right.

In March last year, International Development
Minister Stephen O’Brien went to Mozambique to
bang the drum for Sun Biofuels, a British company
growing jatropha there, but the oil yields have
been poor. Five months after the ministerial
tour, Sun Biofuels went into administration.

There are plenty of rogues, too, ripping off
investors here as well as African villagers. At
their offices  in  Twickenham, West London, I met
would-be jatropha profiteers Philip Peters and Lawrie Smith.

They told me about their 99-year lease on
farmland in the tiny West African state of Togo.
Heaven knows how they got the land, but their
company, Greenleaf Global, was sub-leasing
five-acre plots to small investors. I could have
one for £6,000, they said. Greenleaf would plant
my jatropha and harvest my profit for me.

I was right not to be tempted. In April, a
British court ordered the company into compulsory
liquidation after Government investigators found
‘a clear intention to mislead would-be
investors’. The company had lied about its
harvests. Promises of a 20 per cent return were
‘not evidence-based’. The scam had been nipped in
the bud, but investors had lost about £8 million.

That’s the trouble in Africa. A few of the land
grabbers are good guys, but many ride roughshod
over people in search of a quick profit. And some
defraud investors as much as their hosts. If I
were an African, I’d be telling them to go home.

The Landgrabbers by Fred Pearce is published by
Eden Project Books, priced £20. To order your
copy for £15.99 inc p&p, call the Review
Bookstore on 0843 382 1111 or go to mailshop.co.uk/books
MOST READ NEWS