By-elections, broken promises and direct democracy

mm at iniref.org mm at iniref.org
Tue Aug 28 09:07:41 BST 2012

By-elections are coming up  --- Manchester Central in November 2012 and
Corby, maybe also in November.

Direct democracy DD supporters can use by-elections to prepare and
rehearse our campaign for future elections.

How?

Demand (or try politely asking) politician-candidates for election to
our Parliament that they should support our proposals for reform of our
antique democracy. See also our election tactics for DD.
<http://www.iniref.org/carta.htm>

For instance, ask them to introduce and support a new law-proposal :::

THE DEMOCRACY BILL
This Bill will set out principles of democracy as rule-by-the-people and
provide regulations for new instruments of citizen-led, issue-based
democracy including:
Citizens' initiative which may be a law proposal and can lead to binding
ballot of the electorate,
Veto referendum with which the electorate can block an unwanted
government law or policy,
Recall -- sacking by the electorate -- of elected officials such as MPs.

BROKEN PROMISES
"We will give residents the power to instigate local referendums on any
local issue." Con/Libdem Coalition agreement HM Government UK 2010. This
item was thrown out of the Localism Bill by Liberal Democrat (!) peers
in cahoots with lobbyists such as local government associations and
large building companies. So, the prospects for local democracy with
this government look bleak.

David Cameron promised that if elected he would introduce
citizen-initiated referendum both at local and national levels. In
government the coalition allows us to petition parliament by collecting
thousands of signatures. We have enjoyed the right to petition
parliament for hundreds of years so we gain little. No citizens' right
to demand and obtain a national referendum is foreseen.
Recent governments were elected on promises to reform our democratic
system but they have failed to keep their promises.

We demand that they must do better in future! We must press politicians
to keep their word; obtain from them new guarantees for early reform.

I&R ~ GB Citizens' Initiative and Referendum
Campaign for direct democracy in Britain
http://www.iniref.org/