Ethiopia Forcibly Uprooting Thousands of Farmers: Rights Group

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Feb 6 19:34:41 GMT 2012

Ethiopia Forcibly Uprooting Thousands of Farmers: Rights Group
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/283138/20120117/ethiopia-forcibly-removing-farmers-human-rights-watch.htm
By Daniel Tovrov: Subscribe to Daniel's RSS feed
January 17, 2012 2:27 PM EST
Ethiopia's government has been seizing land from indigenous farmers
and giving it to commercial developers, Human Rights Watch (HRW)
reported on Tuesday.
The program has seen tens of thousands of Ethiopians forcibly removed
from their land, at least 8.8 million acres of which has been awarded
to foreign and state-owned firms. Additionally, HRW claims that the
government has used military troops to physically, and sometimes
violently, remove people from their homes and send them to new
villages that lack basic resources such as food and water.
"The government is killing our people through starvation and hunger,"
and elder from a village in the Abobo area of Gambella region told
the organization.
"It is better to attack us in one place than just waiting here
together to die. If you attack us, some of us could run, and some
could survive. But this, we are dying here with our children.
Government workers get this salary, but we are just waiting here for death."
HRW based its findings on interviews with 100 people, including
residents of Gambella and Ethiopian refugees in Kenya. The government
has denounced the report and claims that all resettlements are voluntary.
"I can tell you that it is baseless - on both grounds - on both the
land grab issue and resettlement of the people," Ethiopian
Information Minister Bereket Simon told the BBC.
"No-one is forced [to leave their homes]. This is an absolute lie.
The people around Gambella are inhabiting the place in a very
scattered manner," he added.
"It is true that we are providing access to land on a lease basis for
25 years for local and foreign developers. We have about three
million hectares of land which is not inhabited by anybody."
Ethiopia's minister of federal affairs, Shiferaw Teklemariam, also
slammed the report, calling it a "politically motivated" fabrication,
according to The Associated Press. Teklemariam was quick to point out
that 50,000 people are enjoying newly constructed villages and
unprecedented agricultural production.

'Villagization'
Resettemenr has been going on in Ethiopia for more than a century,
but the "villagization" program has been sending farmers around
Ethiopia on-and-off for the past 25 years. The point of the
initiative is to consolidate scattered farmers and agricultural
communities into clusters in order to better take advantage of farmland.
There are benefits to this system. In theory, people will be sent
from less productive regions to more fertile areas, and by gathering
people together the government will be able to supply resources,
water, security and health and education facilities to a number of
people at once.
However, removing people from their homes and their traditional
homelands, especially by force, has serious human rights implications.
Additionally, the Ethiopian government is allegedly sending people to
new villages lacking in food, other resources and sometimes even any
reasonable farmland.
"The Ethiopian government's villagization program is not improving
access to services for Gambella's indigenous people, but is instead
undermining their livelihoods and food security," stated Jan Egeland,
Europe director at Human Rights Watch, adding that the organization
isn't totally against villagization but wants it suspended until "the
necessary infrastructure is in place."
Another 45,000 households are scheduled to be relocated from Gambella
by the end of 2012.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered that shall not be
revealed; and nothing hid that shall not be made known. What I tell
you in darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye hear in the
ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6