The success of the market economy for all...

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Mon Feb 13 11:22:57 GMT 2012

...or not, as the case may be.

Tonight Panorama exposes the shame of the "richest" nation on Earth --
'Panorama: Poor America', BBC One, Monday, 13th February at 20:30 GMT; then
available in the UK on the BBC iPlayer,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01c2y2b/Panorama_Poor_America/

See also the Beeb website -- extract below.

P.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9694000/9694094.stm

America's homeless resort to tent cities

BBC News, Monday 13th February 2012

Panorama's Hilary Andersson comes face to face with the reality of poverty
in America and finds that, for some, the last resort has become life in a
tented encampment.

Just off the side of a motorway on the fringes of the picturesque town of
Ann Arbor, Michigan, a mismatched collection of 30 tents tucked in the
woods has become home - home to those who are either unemployed, or whose
wages are so low that they can no longer afford to pay rent.

Conditions are unhygienic. There are no toilets and electricity is only
available in the one communal tent where the campers huddle around a wood
stove for warmth in the heart of winter.

Ice weighs down the roofs of tents, and rain regularly drips onto the
sleeping campers' faces as they sleep.

Tent cities have sprung up in and around at least 55 American cities - they
represent the bleak reality of America's poverty crisis.

{SNIP}

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc