Sat17Mar - LONDON - Taking on the media barons conference

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Feb 22 00:53:36 GMT 2012

Taking on the media barons – how can we make the media fair for all?
Starting at 10am on Saturday 17 March at TUC Congress House in London
NUJ, TUC and CPBF conference on media ownership,
regulation and the Leveson Inquiry
http://www.911forum.org.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=21154

Revelations about the conduct of Murdoch-owned
papers have pitched the press into crisis.
Murdoch's failed attempt to take full control of
BSkyB, the biggest broadcaster in Europe, has
focused attention on who controls the media and
who controls the news. The Leveson Inquiry is
lifting the lid on the truth behind the headlines
and there is now a once in a generation chance
for real reform. But what sort of reform? How can
we create a press that is both free and fair? On
Saturday 17 March, politicians, union
representatives, journalists, campaigners,
commentators and academics will debate how we can
reform the media. Confirmed speakers to date:
Frances O’Grady TUC Deputy General Secretary,
Michelle Stanistreet NUJ General Secretary, Tony
Burke Assistant General Secretary Unite,
Granville Williams Campaign for Press and
Broadcasting Freedom, Tom O’Malley Campaign for
Press and Broadcasting Freedom and Professor of
Media Aberystwyth University, James Curran
Co-ordinating Committee for Media Reform, Natalie
Fenton Professor of Media and Communications
Goldsmiths College London, Jim Boumelha
International Federation of Journalists.
Resources:
-          Event leaflet attached.
-          Register for the conference here -
<http://mediaownership.eventbrite.co.uk>http://mediaownership.eventbrite.co.uk
-          Suggest to your branch and/or chapel
that they should send delegates to the event.