Solas EcoVillage Project (Scotland) Seeks Members & Land

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Sat Feb 25 17:47:00 GMT 2012

On 24 Feb 2012, at 12:28, clv101 wrote:

> How does Solas fit in with the Crofting Reform Act? It seems that
> this new legislation supports woodland crofts for the first time
> and groups of people are able to purchase land under new community
> right to buy legislation.

See below, excerpt from an article in The Land 11, page  26. The
government advice on this is found at this link : http://
www.forestry.gov.uk/woodlandcrofts I' don't know whether Solas would
be able to benefit from the right to buy, as it is not a local
community. Cheers Simon

In Summer 2004, Chapter 7 News published an article entitled
“Forestry Commission Smallholdings”, in which we cited a proposal
from Donald McPhillimy, of Reforesting Scotland, for “Forest Crofts
on ex-Forestry Commission Land”. “A typical forest village”, he
wrote, “would consist of a cluster of 10 to 30 houses each with a
forest lot of 10 to 30 hectares of plantation. There would be an
additional forest resource beyond, comparable to the common grazing,
which could be worked collectively or made available to anyone
needing more land than allocated.”
Two years later, in 2006, David Blair, who was already living on his
pioneering forestry smallholding, was outlining proposals for a pilot
Forest Village Project close to the village of Tighnabruaich, Argyll.
It was another four years before residents at Tighnabruaich finally
managed to seal the acquisition of  the 125ha Kilfinan Forest from
the Forestry Commission. Among their future plans are the
establishment of six “Forest Crofts.”
Meanwhile Forestry Commission Scotland  were mulling over these
ideas. In 2005 they  formed a Forestry Crofts Steering Group which
the following year recommended that guidance on how to establish
forest crofts should be tacked onto the National Forest Land Scheme,
which gives community organisations the opportunity to buy or lease
Forestry Commission land. That guidance is now in place and can be
viewed in several documents on Forestry Commission Scotland’s website.
2  In August 2011, leases were signed for the first three forest
crofts,  on land that had been bought from the Forestry Commission
by  North West Mull Community Woodland.
It remains to be seen whether “Forest Crofts” and “Forest Villages”
will catch on in Scotland, or indeed spread south of the border.
Perhaps these concepts are unnecessary in England where land
ownership is a good deal less concentrated than it is in Scotland,
and where, over the last 20 years, our woods and forests have been
gradually repopulated by a new breed of independent woodlander. What
is necessary is to dispel, for once and for all, the absurd notion
that our forests can be managed properly by a ratio of one person for
every 500 acres.
  1. H L Edlin, Britain’s  New Forest Villages, Unasylva - Vol. 6,
No. 4  FAO Corporate Document Repository, www.fao.org/docrep/x5365e/
x5365e02.htm
2. http://www.forestry.gov.uk/woodlandcrofts