PRESS RELEASE Forest Of Dean Wilderness Centre Reopens

frank gundry-white tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Jan 9 01:12:15 GMT 2012

PRESS RELEASE

Wilderness enthusiasts reopen much loved environmental education
centre. The Wilderness Centre.

A group of volunteers have decided to take matters into their own
hands, reopening a much loved environmental education centre which
has been closed due to the cuts to run free courses, skill shares and
workshops.

We moved into the Wilderness Centre on Sunday 8th January to serve as
caretakers and run it on a voluntary basis.

We wish to work with the Friends of the Wilderness Centre and
Gloucestershire councils to keep the centre open for the benefit of
the local community and involve them in the process of deciding what
the future of the centre should be.

We believe there is an urgent need now more than ever to keep
community hubs and educational spaces open so people can come
together to learn skills and share ideas. These spaces empower and
enable communities to collectively forge a truly sustainable economy
and local resilience for the times ahead.

This closure was an especially big blow to local young people as it
deprived them of a means to learn about their ecological environment,
learn skills to provide employment and took away their heritage.

We follow in the footsteps of the HOOF campaign whose efforts led to
the protection of the forest for future generations.
.
The Wilderness centre,
Plump Hill,
Mitcheldean,