Serfs up!

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Tue Jun 5 11:06:52 BST 2012

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed

Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant

Coachloads of jobless people brought in to work unpaid on river pageant as
part of Work Programme

Shiv Malik, Guardian On-line, Monday 4th June 2012

A group of long-term unemployed jobseekers were bussed into London to work
as unpaid stewards during the diamond jubilee celebrations and told to
sleep under London Bridge before working on the river pageant.

Up to 30 jobseekers and another 50 people on apprentice wages were taken to
London by coach from Bristol, Bath and Plymouth as part of the government's
Work Programme.

Two jobseekers, who did not want to be identified in case they lost their
benefits, said they had to camp under London Bridge the night before the
pageant. They told the Guardian they had to change into security gear in
public, had no access to toilets for 24 hours, and were taken to a swampy
campsite outside London after working a 14-hour shift in the pouring rain
on the banks of the Thames on Sunday.

One young worker said she was on duty between London Bridge and Tower
Bridge during the £12m river spectacle of a 1,000-boat flotilla and members
of the Royal family sail by . She said that the security firm Close
Protection UK, which won a stewarding contract for the jubilee events, gave
her a plastic see-through poncho and a high-visibility jacket for
protection against the rain.

Close Protection UK confirmed that it was using up to 30 unpaid staff and 50
apprentices, who were paid £2.80 an hour, for the three-day event in
London. A spokesman said the unpaid work was a trial for paid roles at the
Olympics, which it had also won a contract to staff. Unpaid staff were
expected to work two days out of the three-day holiday.

{SNIP}

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc