Wed27Jun LONDON - FOE invite to land investment summit

Darren mail at vegburner.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 16:52:12 BST 2012

*From:*Becky Slater
*Sent:*28 May 2012 17:39
*Subject:*Invitation - meeting for civil society groups working on land
Hello,
We'd like to invite you to a meeting that is being organised in London on Wednesday 27th June, to bring together civil society groups working on land issues, including Europe's land overconsumption and land grabbing.
Please find attached a draft agenda. The meeting is timed to coincide
with a 3 day land and agriculture investment summit for private,
government and world bank investors on 26-28^th June
(seehttp://www.terrapinn.com/2012/agri/index.stm). A group of civil
society groups is also having a separate discussion about planning a
protest / action outside the summit -- please also let me know if you're
interested in being involved with that.
Friends of the Earth works on many aspects of land (including land
grabbing, Europe's land overconsumption and land footprinting), and for
a while we've been meaning to arrange a meeting to bring together a wide
selection of civil society groups that work on all these issues, to
provide an opportunity to share information, reveal potential synergies
and hopefully form new alliances or collaborations.
The plan to hold an anti-land grabbing land action in London seemed like
a good opportunity to go ahead with this meeting, with the hope that
some relevant people would be in London for the stunt anyway. Different
people are working on many different aspects of land. The aim of this
meeting is to provide an opportunity to share information, reveal
potential synergies and hopefully form new alliances or collaborations.
(NB Its not intended for this meeting to come out with a position
statement).
I'll send more details shortly, but if you're interested in coming along
please let me know, and save the date. Please note that although we have
a budget to stage the event we don't have any travel budget for
participants.
A draft agenda is attached.
Best regards,
Becky
Becky Slater
Resource Use
Friends of the Earth England Wales and Northern Ireland
020 7566 4079
www.foeeurope.org/resources <http://www.foeeurope.org/resources>

*Draft agenda -- land overconsumption & land grabbing conference*

27^th June 2012, Augustana Centre
(_http://www.augustana-centre.org.uk/_) near Kings Cross, London

This meeting will bring together civil society groups working on land
issues, including Europe's land overconsumption and land grabbing.

Different people are working on many different aspects of land. The aim
of this meeting is to provide an opportunity to share information,
reveal potential synergies and hopefully form new alliances or
collaborations.

(NB Its not intended for this meeting to come out with a position
statement).

Please note that although we have a budget to stage the event we don't
have any travel budget for participants.

      9.00 Registration and coffee

      9.15 - 10.00 -- Introductions - attendees each have 2 minutes to
      explain their current work on land

      10.00 -- 11.30 Plenary 1 -- Land overconsumption and its impacts

      Chair?

  *

    Consumption -- Kate Rowarth, Oxfam

  *

    Land footprint work -- Michael Warhurst

  *

    Land governance (eg rights, tenure, reform) - Sofia, FIAN or
    Annelies, Via Campesina

  *

    Land grabbing -- Renee, GRAIN or Ian Scoons

  *

    Plenary 1 panel discussion

      11.30 -- 11.45 Coffee

    11.45 -13.15 Plenary 2 -- What drives our land overconsumption?

Chair -- Michael Warhurst

  *

    Diet -- Duncan / Lucy, WWF

  *

    Biofuels/biomass -- Ken or Tim, Action Aid

  *

    Food crisis including agricultural systems -- Renee, GRAIN

  *

    CAP - Karin, APRODEV

  *

    Finance -- Giulia, CRBM

  *

    Plenary 2 panel discussion

    13.15 -- 14.00 Lunch (includingchoosingbreakoutgroupsforafternoon)

    14.00-15.50 Breakout

Discussing:

are groups wanting to work together on this issue?

what would be our strategy

what other groups that couldn't be present might want to be involved?

Sessions could include:

  *

    Land footprint/land consumption -- a European NGO alliance?

  *

    Building a strategy & a movement against land grabbing

  *

    Next steps on biofuels and biomass

  *

    Diet, health and land consumption -- a win/win?

  *

    Finance -- next steps for pension fund campaign

  *

    FAO Guidelines -- implementation in EU

    15.50-16.00Coffee

    16.00-17.30 Plenary 3