Daily Mail: Legacy of Dale Farm: a fly-tippers' paradise

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Jun 22 01:24:02 BST 2012

Legacy of Dale Farm: Nine months after £7m battle
to remove travellers, the site that was meant to
be green belt has become a fly-tippers' paradise
By Arthur Martin
PUBLISHED: 23:28, 21 June 2012 | UPDATED: 00:01, 22 June 2012
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162933/Legacy-Dale-Farm-Nine-months-7m-battle-remove-travellers-site-meant-green-belt-fly-tippers-paradise.html

It was supposed to be turned back into green belt land.
But almost nine months after more than £7million
was spent evicting travellers at Dale Farm, the
site has become a dumping ground for fly-tippers.
Industrial waste, rotting food and discarded
furniture cover what used to be Europe's largest illegal travellers' site.
Rats and foxes now roam across the six-acre plot
causing potential health risks to homeowners living nearby.
Craters left by the bailiffs' heavy machinery
have filled with stagnant water. The stench of human waste is overpowering.
Conditions have become so bad that the homeowner
who led a ten-year campaign to remove the
travellers said life was better before the eviction.
Len Gridley, 53, whose garden backs on to Dale
Farm, said yesterday: 'It's worse now than it was
when the travellers were there. First, I was
living next to a travellers' site. Now it's a bombsite.
'Either way, no one would want to buy my home.
The site is an absolute tip and I have rats
living all along the back of my garden.'
Others say the value of their homes has dropped
by 20 per cent because of the stigma attached to
the site. An estimated £50million has been wiped
off the value of the 400 properties in the
village of Crays Hill, Essex, since the
travellers colonised the site in 2001. Basildon
Council had promised to return the site to 'green belt'

Emacs!

  Part of the illegal site now strewn with
rubbish and has become a filthy eyesore

Pensioner Henry Scott, who lives nearby, has been
trying to sell his home for two years, but has had no offers.
He said: 'Who is going to rush to buy a house
here with Dale Farm and the travellers here?'
Basildon Council evicted the travellers and their
supporters following a tense stand-off last
October. The council is now responsible for
turning it back into green belt land. However,
council leader Tony Ball hinted that the mess
would not be cleared until next year.
He said the site, which is owned by the
travellers, could not be cleared until the
council had recovered some of the eviction costs.
The council may even seize the site from the
travellers as an asset to offset its clearance
costs. It would then be able to clean it quickly.
However, the local authority may face a costly
and protracted court battle to gain ownership of
the plot. The travellers, funded by legal aid,
would almost certainly fight to block the application.
After the successful clean-up operation last
year, many of the travellers moved onto the legal section of Dale Farm.
And once the bailiffs had left, some families
parked their caravans and mobile homes along the
road which approaches the site.
Many are still living illegally on this stretch
of road, despite attempts to move them on.
One 58-year-old traveller, who refused to be
named, said: 'The council spent nearly £8million here and for what?
'When we were on the site we kept it clean – now
look at the place. It's become a local dumping ground.'
A council spokesman said: 'Local authorities can
only tackle fly-tipping on public land, highways
and lay-bys. Fly-tipping on private land such as
the Dale Farm site is the responsibility of the landowner.
'However, we can refer extreme cases that we
consider detrimental to the environment to the
Environment Agency, who will decide whether to take further action.'

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162933/Legacy-Dale-Farm-Nine-months-7m-battle-remove-travellers-site-meant-green-belt-fly-tippers-paradise.html#ixzz1yTUsZPJV