Duchy of Lancaster registers mineral rights

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Jun 23 20:47:14 BST 2012

Duchy of Lancaster registers historic land rights
June 22, 2012 | Filed under: Harrogate
http://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2012/06/22/duchy-lancaster-registers-historic-land-rights/

Emacs!

CEO and Clerk of the Duchy Council, Paul Clarke

The Duchy of Lancaster is in the process of registering its historic
manorial mineral ownership following a change to the law governing
land registration.
The Land Registration Act of 2002 set a deadline of October 2013 for
the owners of centuries-old rights to minerals beneath the ground to
register them officially.
The change in legislation has prompted The Duchy of Lancaster, a
portfolio of land, property and assets held by Her Majesty the Queen
in Right of Her Duchy of Lancaster, to register these historic rights
to underground minerals with the Land Registry.
The Duchy is currently working on registering the manorial minerals
in the Knaresborough and Harrogate areas. CEO and Clerk of the Duchy
Council, Paul Clarke, today reassured owners with properties on the
affected land, explaining that registration was a formality.
Paul Clarke said: The Duchy of Lancaster is having to register its
manorial mineral rights with the Land Registry in order to preserve
them for the future because of the change in legislation. The Duchy
has owned these rights for many centuries and this registration
doesn't mean that we have any immediate intention to work the minerals.
We understand that some homeowners may be concerned at having our
mineral ownership shown on their title however, the possible sale and
transfer of the Duchy mineral rights to them would not be ruled out
in certain circumstances.
Home owners whose property is already registered at the Land Registry
will receive postal notification of the registration from the Land
Registry. Mr Clarke went on to say that anyone who believes they may
be affected and is worried should contact the Duchy at
minerals.registration at duchyoflancaster.co.uk.