Lords sign off coalition law to criminalise squatting

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Mar 29 22:21:45 BST 2012

Lords fail to overturn plan to criminalise squatting
Published by Julien Tremblin for 24dash.com in
Housing and also in Central Government,
Communities - Thursday 29th March 2012 - 3:08pm
http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2012-03-29-Lords-fail-to-overturn-law-that-criminalises-squatting
All amendments moved by Peers to overturn plans
to criminalise squatting have been withdrawn or
voted against in the House of Lords.
Under clause 145 of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and
Punishment of Offenders Bill, people found
squatting in residential properties – including
empty properties - will face up to a year in jail or a £5,000 fine.
Liberal Democrat Baroness Miller of Chiltorne
Domer had tabled an amendment that would have
decriminalised squatters living in properties
that have been lying empty for more than 12 months.
However, at the Third - and final - reading of
the bill on Tuesday night, opponents to the
amendment - including Baroness Northover - said
there were many reasons why a property would
remain empty for more than a year and that the
measure would be problematic and create "unnecessary confusion".
Accepting criticism, Baroness Miller decided to
withdraw amendment 36. She said: “I entirely
agree with my noble friend that it is society's
responsibility to look after the vulnerable -
and, I would add, the homeless. That
responsibility does not include criminalising
them; that is where we part company.
“However, I see that Amendment 36 is problematic,
and I accept the criticisms around the definition
of "residential". We were trying to offer
something that was slightly better than what was in the Bill.”
Baroness Miller's amendment had received the
backing of several Labour and Liberal Democrat
Peers in recent weeks who agreed that squatters
living in long-term abandoned properties should
be treated differently from those occupying properties currently in use.
A supporter of the amendment, Baroness Lister of
Burtersett said on Tuesday: “They [the
Government] accept that we must increase the
number of empty homes brought back into use as a
sustainable way of increasing the overall supply
of housing. You could say that squatters are
doing it for themselves, rather than waiting for
the Government to get round to it.”
Another amendment put forward by Baroness Miller
proposed to hold a consultation before section 145 is enforced.
The amendment stated: “Section 145 shall not come
into force until the Lord Chancellor or the
Secretary of State has consulted representatives
of local authorities and such other persons as he considers appropriate."
Peers voted against the amendment by a large majority of 107 against 26.
Duncan Shrubsole, Director of Policy and External
Affairs at Crisis, said: “We are obviously
disappointed that the Government is going ahead
with its plans to criminalise squatting in
residential buildings given the concerns that
Crisis, with the support of Baroness Miller and
other Parliamentarians, have consistently raised
as the likely impact on homeless people.
“We welcome the fact that the Minister committed
to look at the issue of how this new law is
implemented and to talk further to Crisis and others.
“Ultimately the best way to end squatting will
not be through fines and criminal sanction but by
ensuring all homeless people, not just those
deemed in “priority need” get the help they need”.
In a statement, the Squatter’s Action for Secure
Homes (SQUASH) said: "The time for lobbying is
now definitely over and I doubt many within
SQUASH ever want to do anything like it again.
The whole process is alienating, demoralising and
lacking common-sense. There are many battles
ahead for squatters and poor people across the country."
During the debate on Tuesday, Baroness Miller
said: “The housing is not there and cannot be
created in an instant. Therefore, there will be a
group of people who will face very difficult
decisions about whether to stay in a squat and be
criminalised, to sleep rough or to present
themselves to their local authority."
The Bill will now move on to the House of Commons.
Lords fail to overturn plan to criminalise squatting
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6