US should return stolen land to Indian tribes, says United Nations

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sat May 5 20:03:54 BST 2012

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/04/us-stolen-land-indian-tribes-un

US should return stolen land to Indian tribes, says United Nations

UN's correspondent on indigenous peoples urges government to act to combat
'racial discrimination' felt by Native Americans

Chris McGreal, Guardian On-line, Friday 4th May 2012

A United Nations investigator probing discrimination against Native
Americans has called on the US government to return some of the land stolen
from Indian tribes as a step toward combatting continuing and systemic
racial discrimination.

James Anaya, the UN special rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples,
said no member of the US Congress would meet him as he investigated the
part played by the government in the considerable difficulties faced by
Indian tribes.

Anaya said that in nearly two weeks of visiting Indian reservations,
indigenous communities in Alaska and Hawaii, and Native Americans now
living in cities, he encountered people who suffered a history of
dispossession of their lands and resources, the breakdown of their
societies and "numerous instances of outright brutality, all grounded on
racial discrimination".

{SNIP}

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc