Undercurrents: Living in the Future top flight series on YouTube

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon May 7 19:30:44 BST 2012

Living in the Future 42: A New Life

Published on 22 Mar 2012 by
<http://www.youtube.com//user/undercurrentspaulo>undercurrentspaulo
Kit, Saara and Henry are settling down to life at
Lammas ecovillage in West Wales after an exciting
year of getting married and having a baby.
The house has foundations, the polytunnel has a
roof and the rabbits have arrived.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2RJYpER7IQ

Here's another goodie in
that  <http://livinginthefuture.org>http://livinginthefuture.org  series too

Living in the future 29 Building With Wood

The communal woodland is an intrinsic part of the
Lammas project. How is it managed and how is the wood being used?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp2iQnjEiSw

Living in the Future - A
History   <http://livinginthefuture.org>http://livinginthefuture.org
http://livinginthefuture.org/index.php/the-story

The story of this project is the story of
<http://livinginthefuture.org/index.php/the-story/index.php/support-the-series>Ecovillage
Pioneers<http://livinginthefuture.org/index.php/the-story/index.php/support-the-series>
- an obsession with community and low impact
living that began in Gower, Wales, traveled to
Australia, Spain, Scotland and Ireland and
returned full circle (or spiral) to where it
began. If you want to hear the story, help us out
and
<http://livinginthefuture.org/index.php/the-story/index.php/support-the-series>buy
the DVD of the full 50 minute film- or you can
watch the whole series in segments from this
website.<http://www.undercurrents.org/altvideos/issue7.htm>

<http://www.undercurrents.org>Undercurrents
started documenting the rise of low impact
development in 1995, when the small community of
Holtsfield in Gower, Wales was facing eviction.
We made a short film, which appeared on VHS as
<http://www.undercurrents.org/altvideos/issue7.htm>Undercurrents 7.

Our interest in living on the land grew and we
traveled to Scotland to follow the story of the
Carbeth Hutters (VHS Undercurrents 9) and
<http://www.thatroundhouse.info/>Brithdir Mawr
(Undercurrents10). On a visit to Australia in
2001, (when we didn't realise the damage which
flying does to our climate) we visited
<http://crystalwaters.org.au/>Crystal Waters, the
first Permaculture village and some little shacks
near Sydney. A pattern was beginning to emerge...

Crystal Waters, Australia

Times moved on and so did technology. By 2005,
Undercurrents were exploring video on the
internet and we were invited to make a series for
the <http://www.communitychannel.org/>Community
Channel about a local project in Wales.
<http://www.lammas.org.uk/>Lammas was a new
ecovillage model looking to take advantage of the
new "Policy 52" from Pembrokeshire County Council
supporting low impact development in the open
countryside. We made a series of 6 programmes
looking at the history of ecovillage development
in the UK. Those 6 programmes soon turned into
12, which turned into a 50 minute film -
<http://livinginthefuture.org/index.php/the-story/index.php/support-the-series>Ecovillage
Pioneers. 10,000 copies of this film was
distributed by
<http://www.permaculture-magazine.co.uk/>Permaculture
Magazine and the film has been screened all around the world.

By the time the film was finished, Lammas still
did not have planning permission, but the Living
in the Future online series had a huge following.
So we kept making short films and uploading them
to a growing internet audience. Lammas finally
got planning permission in August 2009 and our
series now has 20,000+ RSS subscribers via
the<http://subscribe.getmiro.com/?url1=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.com%2FLivinginthefuture>
Miro guide alone. Please join us.

The landscape of low impact development in the UK
and around the world has altered dramatically
over the last 12 years. Many more communities are
being given permission to experiment, which is a
good thing, considering the way we humans
continue to exploit resources and pollute the
environment. The Living in the Future video
project is more popular- and necessary- than
ever, so we are still making programmes- but we need your support!

The Living in the Future project needs your help
to continue. So please buy a DVD or take out an
advert and help us to keep the series going.
Helen filming Ecovillage Pioneers

Each episode costs us about £500 to research,
travel, film and edit. If you can offer a
donation or your company can sponsor an episode,
or you can buy the DVD - it all helps immensely -
thank you for all your support.