"I can afford to pay the rent - most people can't"

James tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu May 10 03:01:08 BST 2012

Owen Jones: I can afford to pay the rent – most people can't

To get a two-bed place in Tower Hamlets you need
more than double the median household income

I already knew that Britain was in the throes of
an escalating housing crisis, but, on the move
for the first time in two-and-a-half years and,
having been protected from soaring rents by a
benevolent landlord, I was in for an unwelcome
meeting with reality. Looking for a modest
two-bedroom place in London's Zone 2 – with a
housemate who, appropriately enough, works for a
housing charity – I found that a standard monthly
individual rent was £800, even £900. One estate
agent asked what our maximum budget was: when I
suggested £700 each a month, he spluttered down
the phone. How many can actually afford – and I
mean "have sufficient money left over to have a
decent existence after paying the landlord" – these sorts of rents?

Inevitably, I took to Twitter to vent. I was
stunned by the response. Hundreds of furious
Londoners bombarded me with their renting horror
stories. One had a 35 per cent rent hike imposed
on them at Christmas; another was forced to
desert their Stockwell flat after a 40 per cent
increase. "My tiny flat in the East End went up
by £200 a month for the next occupants when I
left," freelancer Scott Bryan tweeted me. "It was
£600 already. Eyewatering." Another abandoned
their own "tiny flat" in Zone 3 after their
monthly rent went from £720 to £950.

Private landlords can do as they please, of
course. Having a roof over your head is a basic
human requirement and, when there is a lack of
houses to go around, it is a need that can be
exploited. A landlord knows that, if their
tenants don't like an outrageous rent hike, their
only option is to put themselves back at the
mercy of the ever more pricey private renting market.

According to Shelter, annual rents in inner
London went up by 7 per cent last year – or just
under £1,000 for a two-bedroom house. When
people's wages are flat-lining, that's a big hit.
Of course, some landlords – like mine – can be
benevolent; others ruthlessly profiteering. It is a complete lottery.

I'm no victim. I can afford a high rent, even if
it rankles. That is not the case for most. The
number of us privately renting has soared: One in
six households now have private landlords. And it
is no longer largely the preserve of students and
young people. Indeed, the number of families with
children forced to privately rent has nearly
doubled in just five years to more than a
million. They face the prospect of having to
repeatedly move, disrupting the education and overall wellbeing of their kids.

Greedy landlords are fully aware that most cannot
afford to pay their extortionate rents. But they
also know that the taxpayer will step in and
subsidise them with housing benefits. According
to the Homes for London campaign, to get a
two-bed place in Camden, you need an average
monthly household income of £5,324; in Tower
Hamlets – one of the poorest boroughs in Britain
– it's £4,333, way over double Britain's median
household income. It's the state that tops up the
difference. Back in 2002, 100,000 private renters
in London were claiming housing benefit; it
soared to 250,000 by the time New Labour was booted out.

But Cameron's Government has decided to punish
the tenant, imposing a housing benefit cap that
will force many out of their homes. London is on
course to be more like Paris: with a centre that
is a playground for the affluent, while the poorest are confined to the edges.

Here are the consequences of Thatcher's
ideological war on council housing. Her mentor,
Keith Joseph, argued right-to-buy would spur on
"embourgeoisement". Instead, it has left five
million people languishing on social housing
waiting lists, and millions at the mercy of
private landlords. Council housing has been
intentionally demonised as something to escape
from, and the lack of stock to go around has left
it prioritised for those most in need. We've come
far from Nye Bevan's vision of council housing
supporting mixed communities, replicating "the
lovely feature of the English and Welsh village,
where the doctor, the grocer, and the farm
labourer all lived on the same street".

But rather than leave millions at the mercy of
the mini autocrats of the rented sector, a new
wave of council housing would offer accountable
landlords, without the absurdity of market rates.
Instead of wasting billions on housing benefit,
we could spend it on building housing, creating
jobs and stimulating the economy.

We could learn a lot about private renting from
Germany. Local government sets the maximum rent
for flats. The landlord cannot arbitrarily impose
dramatic hikes; increases can only come in
regulated steps. Such a solution would be good
for the British taxpayer, bringing down the
housing benefit bill without kicking the tenant.
This ever-worsening housing crisis is just a
striking example of a society based around the
needs of profit, rather than people.

We were told the free market would liberate the
individual: instead, it leaves them trapped by
the whims of landlords, financially less free,
and banished from entire communities. It is a con
– and an expensive con at that.

<http://twitter.com/@OwenJones84>twitter.com/@OwenJones84