Bristol council say community garden must revert to wasteland

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue May 15 18:22:08 BST 2012

Interesting how the Bristol City Council
spokesperson has to hide behind the cloak of
anonymity here. Could they be ashamed of what
they are saying? Of course they are.
I mentioned this story this afternoon on Talk
Radio Europe, an English language radio station
that goes out in Gibraltar, Marbella and all
along the South Coast of Spain. I want to pass on
that the one caller congratulated everyone in
Withywood for such a 'heart-warming' example of
people bypassing Britain's diabolical
bureaucracy. Part of the reason so many have left Britain to live in Spain.
If anything, these people should send the council
a bill of several thousand pounds for the
man-and-woman-hours put in to sort out the
council's mess. After all the tens of thousands
of pounds of rent tenants pay in they are lucky
to get this miserly local authority spending 50p
back investing in the community nowadays. Many of
us are wonering whether we are paying our council
tax to a gang of crooks. Everyone wants to know
what we are getting in return because too often
the answer seems to be nothing-at-all.
Just like Cameron with the NHS, selling our
public property, even public toilets, to their
mates for a song. Bristol City Council Housing
and Property Services' record is appaling.
Sadly, the elected councillors seem unable to
weed out the 'Little Hitlers' and the rot sets in
from BCC Legal Services chief Stephen MacNamara down.
Congratulations to all concerned and NIL POINTS
again to BCC's miserable and cowardly officers

Community garden must be turned back into wasteland

Tuesday, May 15, 2012
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Community-garden-turned-wasteland/story-16086370-detail/story.html
WITHYWOOD residents who created a community
garden behind their homes are dismayed that the
council wants them to return it to wasteland.
Council tenants in Redford Crescent took it upon
themselves to clear the overgrown land, shorten
their gardens to create more space and turn the area into a communal garden.
    *
    Mike Garland with his wife Carol Moxon with other residents of
    Mike Garland with his wife Carol Moxon with
other residents of Redford Cresent in Withywood, Bristol.
It had been full of dumped rubbish, concrete
blocks, metal and even drug users' syringes but
after residents cleared it the garden fostered a
community spirit and was a safe place for children to play.
But now residents say the city council has told
them to put their gardens back to the way they were.
Carol Moxon, 60, one of the residents, said: "If
they make us put it back to the way it was, it
will become a dumping ground again within 12 months."
Her husband, Mike Garland, 55, a lorry driver who
is recovering from a heart attack, said they had
the idea after a neighbour's garden fence blew down.
They talked about it with some of the other
neighbours and everyone's enthusiasm made the idea work.
Mr Garland said: "The overgrown land at the bottom of our gardens was terrible.
"We found all sorts of rubbish there – car tyres,
car engines, it was a haven for rats.
"We cleared out more than five tonnes of metal
and shifted about ten tonnes of concrete blocks.
"What we have got now is somewhere special that we all appreciate.
"It's somewhere where we can sit out in the
evenings, have a chat with neighbours and see the
children play in safety. It's a real gem of a
place that we are proud of and want to keep.
"If any new tenants move in and would prefer to
have their garden back to the length it was, then
no problem – it is their choice."
But Mr Garland said that council officers spotted
the communal garden when checks were being
carried out on one of the flats in the street after a tenant had moved out.
Mr Garland said: "They've told us that the
gardens must be put back to the way they were
which makes no sense at all to us.
"We've used our own initiative to turn an
unsightly eyesore and health hazard into a place
which has generated such a community spirit but
the council wants to take it away from us."
The nine tenants have won the support of their
ward councillor Richard Eddy (Con, Bishopsworth)
who said: "Mike Garland and his neighbours are to
be congratulated for having the inspiration and
creativity to form a Community Garden which has
become a paradise for local children and relaxing adults.
"In contrast, there are plenty of examples of
tenants' gardens which have become neglected and
overgrown, where the council appears loath to take effective action.
"While certain formalities remain to be
completed, Mr Garland and local residents have my
total support in their battle to get Bristol City
Council to recognise this fantastic creation."
A council spokesman said: "The key issue is that
they didn't approach us to ask for permission to remove fencing and so on.
"We're not saying we are opposed to this in principle.
"But first we need to establish what the wishes
of all the individual tenants are – one of the
gardens involved belongs to a property currently
void and we know that the incoming tenant wants
his garden to be returned to its former state.
"If all the current tenants were happy with the
arrangement then we would consider this
arrangement although clearly it would still mean
that any future tenant who moved into a vacated
flat would retain the right to have their individual garden re-instated.
"And it would still mean that individual tenants
would be responsible for the land attached to their tenancy."
He added there might be health and safety
concerns relating to sheds and possible electricity installation.
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Community-garden-turned-wasteland/story-16086370-detail/story.html