Fw: [Diggers350] Green Party cuts

david bangs dave.bangs at virgin.net
Wed May 16 22:39:49 BST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Allotments
To: 'david bangs' ; 'Simon Fairlie' ; kim.icity at googlemail.com
Cc: 'diggers' ; 'greenwomble' ; 'Beth Tilston'
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:03 AM
Subject: RE: [Diggers350] Green Party cuts

Hi,

I'm Mark Carroll. I know Dave Bangs from Brighton and I have met Simon Fairlie as I visited Tinkers Bubble many years ago and met him there.

I am now on the Brighton and Hove allotment federation and thats my letter to the Argus at the bottom of this conversation !

The 'subsidy' as the council chooses to call it, relates to the amount of extra money they claim to spend on the allotments service above and beyond the rent they collect.

These are the figures thay gave us;

  a.. Two manual staff: £37,000
  b.. Allotment officer: £28,500
  c.. Travel for the allotment officer: £500
  d.. Premises [largely water]: £31,500
  e.. Transport: £3000
  f.. Supplies and Services: £25,000 [includes £6660 to allotment federation]
  g.. Third party payments [contractors & skip hire]: £ 27,500

Total expenditure: £153,000

Current income £91,500 plus £61,500 proposed increase, total £153,000

So they claim that the 'subsidy' is £61,500. Calling it a subsidy is a bit rich. The council are obliged by law to provide the allotments service, they are in fact required by the 1908 Allotments and Smallholders Act to provide a 'sufficient' provision. We have 2000+ people in Brighton on the waiting list, so it's quite obvious there isn't a sufficient provision ! But challenging them on this in court would probably need a judicial review.

The figures are dodgy anyway.. We have noticed some odd discrepancies in the water bills for instance.. Where sites with 50 plots have water bills 3 times the amount of sites with 300 plots ! It is suggested that other council buildings are using water included in the allotments bill. Also the two manual staff seem to do other work for the council.

The planned rise of £70 was beaten because the Labour and Coop made an amendment to the budget,( due to the noise made by the protest) which was voted through, allotments rents will go up by £4.

As for the allotments officer, I don't have the same view on them as Dave Bangs it seems. From my experience I don't see any empathy with plot holders. At  a recent meeting the allotment officer David Cooper said that 'he hadn't seen any allotments that had impressed him'. So he doesn't have eyes for the rich and varied food production and wildlife green spaces that many people have created. There have also been many complaints from people saying they have received 'toxic' letters from the officer. Rude and Draconian.  The last allotments officer acted like he was a law unto himself. He introduced new policies in secret, by getting a minimum quorum in secret and passing new rules.. he introduced a policy of 'plot chopping' so there are now only half plots available to rent in Brighton... no full plots.. every plot that comes up for rent gets chopped in two. He also spent £3000 of allotment funding on one person to write 12 email bulletins on gardening tips ! It beggars belief. I could go on for pages, from my perspective the allotments officer is not on the side of the allotmenteers at all.

Best Regards,

Mark