2052: A Global Forecast for the Next Forty Years

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Wed May 23 18:14:23 BST 2012

I tried ordering Jorgan Randers new book a week or so ago and it's not
available (in the UK) until the end of June. Here's a review from Scientific
American.

Given mainstream environmentalism's aversion to dealing with the "limits"
issue, the fact that the projections of 40 years ago are still on track --
despite the protestations of neoclassical economists -- should be a wake-up
call for all.

P.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=apocalypse%2Dsoon%2Dhas%2Dcivilization%2Dpassed%2Dthe%2Denvironmental%2Dpoint%2Dof%2Dno%2Dreturn

Apocalypse Soon: Has Civilization Passed the Environmental Point of No
Return?

Although there is an urban legend that the world will end this year based
on a misinterpretation of the Mayan calendar, some researchers think a 40-
year-old computer program that predicts a collapse of socioeconomic order
and massive drop in human population in this century may be on target

Madhusree Mukerjee, Scientific American, 23rd May 2012

Remember how Wile E. Coyote, in his obsessive pursuit of the Road Runner,
would fall off a cliff? The hapless predator ran straight out off the edge,
stopped in midair as only an animated character could, looked beneath him
in an eye-popping moment of truth, and plummeted straight down into a puff
of dust. Splat! Four decades ago, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology
computer model called World3 warned of such a possible course for human
civilization in the 21st century. In Limits to Growth, a bitterly disputed
1972 book that explicated these findings, researchers argued that the global
industrial system has so much inertia that it cannot readily correct course
skidded to a halt before reaching the edge, they warned, society was headed
for overshoot—and a splat that could kill billions.

Don't look now but we are running in midair, a new book asserts. In 2052: A
Global Forecast for the Next Forty Years (Chelsea Green Publishing), Jorgen
Randers of the BI Norwegian Business School in Oslo, and one of the
original World3 modelers, argues that the second half of the 21st century
will bring us near apocalypse in the form of severe global warming. Dennis
Meadows, professor emeritus of systems policy at the University of New
Hampshire who headed the original M.I.T. team and revisited World3 in 1994
and 2004, has an even darker view. The 1970s program had yielded a variety
of scenarios, in some of which humanity manages to control production and
population to live within planetary limits (described as Limits to Growth).
Meadows contends that the model's sustainable pathways are no longer within
reach because humanity has failed to act accordingly.

Instead, the latest global data are tracking one of the most alarming
scenarios, in which these variables increase steadily to reach a peak and
then suddenly drop in a process called collapse. In fact, "I see collapse
happening already," he says. "Food per capita is going down, energy is
becoming more scarce, groundwater is being depleted." Most worrisome,
Randers notes, greenhouse gases are being emitted twice as fast as oceans
and forests can absorb them. Whereas in 1972 humans were using 85 percent
of the regenerative capacity of the biosphere to support economic
activities such as growing food, producing goods and assimilating
pollutants, the figure is now at 150 percent—and growing.

Randers's ideas most closely resemble a World3 scenario in which energy
efficiency and renewable energy stave off the worst effects of climate change
until after 2050. For the coming few decades, Randers predicts, life on
Earth will carry on more or less as before. Wealthy economies will continue
to grow, albeit more slowly as investment will need to be diverted to deal
with resource constraints and environmental problems, which thereby will
leave less capital for creating goods for consumption. Food production will
improve: increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will cause plants to
grow faster, and warming will open up new areas such as Siberia to
cultivation. Population will increase, albeit slowly, to a maximum of about
eight billion near 2040. Eventually, however, floods and desertification will
start reducing farmland and therefore the availability of grain. Despite
humanity's efforts to ameliorate climate change, Randers predicts that its
effects will become devastating sometime after mid-century, when global
warming will reinforce itself by, for instance, igniting fires that turn
forests into net emitters rather than absorbers of carbon. "Very likely, we
will have war long before we get there," Randers adds grimly. He expects
that mass migration from lands rendered unlivable will lead to localized
armed conflicts.

Graham Turner of Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research
Organization fears that collapse could come even earlier, but due to peak
oil rather than climate change. After comparing the various scenarios
generated by World3 against recent data on population, industrial output
and other variables, Turner and, separately, the PBL Netherlands
Environmental Assessmeng Agency, conclude that the global system is closely
following a business-as-usual output curve. In this model run the economy
continues to grow as expected until about 2015, but then falters because
nonrenewable resources such as oil become ever more expensive to extract.
"Not that we're running out of any of these resources," Turner explains.
"It's that as you try to get to unconventional sources such as under deep
oceans, it takes a lot more energy to extract each unit of energy." To keep
up oil supply, the model predicts that society will divert investment from
agriculture, causing a drop in food production. In this scenario,
population peaks around 2030 at between seven and eight billion and then
decreases sharply, evening out at about four billion in 2100.

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc