Banbury "People's History" Walk, 6th June 2012

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Tue May 29 08:27:18 BST 2012

                         ++ please forward ++

A "People's History" Walk: Join us on tour through 1,000 years of Banbury's
social history

A 1½ mile walk around the town centre looking at the history of Banbury and
its people, and their role in some of the social struggles that have made
the country what it is today.

Walk begins at 7.30pm, Wednesday 6th June, outside the
Friends Meeting House (opposite St. Mary's Church), Horsefair, Banbury.
The walk should take about 1½ hours.

The struggles of the average person are not often reflected in our popular
history; all too often we punctuate our national story with kings, lords
and wars. As Britain celebrates the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, Ideas for a
Change are organising a different take on historical events. We're launching
a short circular walk around the town centre to highlight not just the
social history of the people of Banbury but also the extraordinary role
Banbury has played in the history of the nation.

Banbury is on the border of different counties and regions, and it's the
location of the town that has played an important part in its history.
Sitting at the centre of England, this area has been the place where armies
have met, from the battles between Danes and Saxons, to the Wars of the
Roses and the Civil War. Whilst its location may have once isolated the
town, that isolation has allowed a rich social history to flourish over the
centuries.

As an area of early industrialisation, particularly weaving and
printing/paper-making, the independence of its citizens meant the town
always had a very free-thinking attitude, especially in relation to
religion. Whilst it may appear odd today, it's not possible to look at the
evolution of modern secular politics without considering the impact of
religion; and in Banbury religion has been the driving force behind many
social movements -- from the first Protestant dissenters, to Levellers and
Quakers, and the nonconformist chapels of the Nineteenth Century which gave
rise to the modern labour movement.

On the walk we'll look at:

# How the geography of Banbury gave rise to the modern town which exists
today;

# Why Banbury was a centre of Protestantism, and how that influenced its
social and political history during and after the Civil War;

# The Levellers movement, and how their calls for change still echo in the
political debates of today;

# The importance of Banbury as a centre of Quakerism, and the Quaker legacy
which remains around the town;

# Why the corrupt political history of the town often led to riots at
Parliamentary elections, and how one local family owned the town but their
inept governance lost the American colonies;

# How -- from Swing Riots, to Chartism, to agricultural unions and the co-
operative movement --  Banbury has been involved in the great social and
political struggles which have formed our modern nation;

# Why Banbury became an industrial centre, and how that created the town we
see today; and

# How, in recent years, the changing make-up of the town has -- as in the
previous 1,000 years -- reflected the changes taking place across the
country as a whole.

In looking back at how we arrived at our position today, we hope that
people will be able to gain a greater perspective on the possibilities for
change in the future. The purpose of Ideas for a Change is to focus on the
ways in which our lifestyles will have to change as a result of peak oil,
climate change, and the general "limits to growth" which are driving the
economic crisis today. In adapting to the economic, energy and resource
challenges of the near future, the past history of the town can provide
practical inspiration as to how our town might re-localise our economy and
food production systems.

For further information on Ideas for a Change see out web site --
http://www.fraw.org.uk/ideas   The walk is led by Paul Mobbs, local author
and environmentalist. If you have any queries about the walk please email
Paul -- mobbsey at gn.apc.org

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc