Bill would broaden fast-track plan system

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Mon Nov 5 14:51:36 GMT 2012

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/news/1157441/Bill%2Dbroaden%2Dfast%2Dtrack%2Dplan%2Dsystem/

Bill would broaden fast-track plan system

Science parks, big chemical works and research and development facilities
are among the business and commercial developments set to be added to the
fast-track planning regime for major infrastructure, the planning minister
has revealed.

John Geoghegan, Planning,  Friday 2nd November 2012

Speaking during a session of the Commons communities and local government
select committee last month, Nick Boles said that storage and distribution
centres, minerals extraction and major industrial developments would also
be categorised as major infrastructure under the proposals.

Under the plans, developers planning major business and commercial
developments would be able to choose the fast-track route by submitting
applications directly to the Planning Inspectorate (PINS) rather than to
councils.

The regime, introduced in the Planning Act 2008, currently provides a
streamlined, year-long planning process, in which nationally important
infrastructure projects, such as major road schemes, new railway lines and
large waste and energy developments, are examined by PINS but determined by
the relevant secretary of state.

The Growth and Infrastructure Bill, published last month, does not define
which types of business and commercial developments would be brought into
the major infrastructure regime. But according to a Department for
Communities and Local Government (DCLG) briefing note, such schemes would
include "economically essential development, like manufacturing parks or
big leisure parks", which would be decided "within 12 months".

The note also says that existing requirements for developers to consult
communities will be kept.

Boles told the committee that the DCLG was "talking to other departments
about exactly what should go in and how those criteria should be defined".

He also said that there would not be a national policy statement on the
issue, as is normally drawn up for types of major infrastructure, but he
promised "there will be a clear set of criteria about which commercial
developments will be counted as major infrastructure".

Boles added that major residential schemes would not be added to the major
infrastructure regime, but said that communities secretary Eric Pickles may
instead call in such applications "more often".

A Number 10 press release in September had said that major residential
applications - as well as big commercial ones - would be added to the fast-
track process.

Angus Walker, partner at law firm Bircham Dyson Bell, said the move to bring
businesses and commercial projects within the Planning Act 2008 regime was
"an endorsement" by the government of the major infrastructure process.

He said: "I think that the main advantage is time, as this is more or less
fixed, but in some cases of protracted appeals and litigation it could save
money as well."

However, Nigel Hewitson, London head of planning at law firm Norton Rose,
questioned whether the move would produce quicker decisions.

He said that the major infrastructure process involves a "lengthy" pre-
application consultation exercise that can "take months if not a year"
before the application is even submitted.

Hewitson said: "In my experience, that's putting off some applicants. I'm
not sure developers will thank the government for this. Their perception
may be that they are better off going through the local authority process."

Walker said the pre-application process was "fairly onerous" but pointed
out the minimum timescale for this was only 28 days.

Claire Dutch, partner at law firm Hogan Lovells, said the proposal would
"provide a quicker and simpler way of getting these projects through the
planning system".

However, she questioned why large mixed-use developments involving housing
would not benefit from the change because such projects were "exactly what
the economy needs".
- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc