Virginia's poorhouses, Scrooge USA style... + new UK film

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Nov 13 18:50:06 GMT 2012

New film - Secret City Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HJGLqMAQbk

Lee | 12.11.2012 10:10 - Screening of Secret
City, Bolivar Hall, 54 Grafton Way W1T 5DL - 28th November 2012. 7pm
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2012/11/502703.html
London and the City of London are not the same
place. London is a metropolis of 8 million
people. The City of London is the famous square
mile in the middle, with about 7,000 residents. A
Corporation older than Parliament, the City of
London has played a key historical role in
protecting and promoting the interests of finance capital.
Secret City investigates the power wielded by the
Corporation of London over British economic
policy, through which it sustains London’s prime
position at the hub of global finance capital —
not least through control of the majority of the world’s tax havens.
The film exposes the Corporation’s
anti-democratic constitution, the ancient laws
which allow it function as a state within a
state, and thus to promote an illusory promise of
economic growth at the cost of the real economy.

Yes, Virginia, There are Poorhouses, and Scrooge Would be Proud of Them
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/11/yes-virginia-there-are-poorhouses-and-scrooge-would-be-proud-of-them.html
http://www.911forum.org.uk/board/viewtopic.php?p=163097#163097

This is Naked Capitalism fundraising week. 355
donors have already invested in our efforts to
shed light on the dark and seamy corners of
finance. Join us and participate via our Tip Jar
or WePay in the right column or read about why
we’re doing this fundraiser and other ways to
donate, such as by check,
<http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/11/relaunching-the-nc-2012-fundraiser.html>in
our kickoff post or one discussing
<http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/11/wow-met-our-second-fundraising-target-on-to-the-third.html>our
current target.

Societies have a funny way of walling off
undesirables. Lepers were secluded in lepers’
colonies. Japan is particularly uncomfortable
with people who don’t fit cultural norms, such as
the mentally ill and the destitute. It was really
shocking the first time I saw someone begging in
the subways in Tokyo in 1991 because it was so
unJapanese
.at least then.

In America, which still is deeply invested in the
myth that anyone who isn’t rich and successful
just didn’t work hard enough, being unemployed is
particularly stigmatized. This protracted
recession has produced a new underclass that
isn’t discussed much: the long term unemployed.
Oh, sure, it’s acknowledged as a statistical
phenomenon, and maybe you’ll see a sad story in
the New York Times now and again, but for the
most part, the desperation of people who once had
work, and really might never again have paid
work, or at least not for more than $10 an hour,
is not as widely discussed as it should be. Even
before the bust, if you were over 40 and lost a
decent paying job, your odds of finding any work,
let alone work that made reasonable use of your skills, were slim to zero.

It’s revealing that Gawker is now up to volume 15
of its weekly series of
“<http://gawker.com/5959817/unemployment-stories-vol-15-how-the-fuck-am-i-going-to-pay-for-cancer?post=54234456>Unemployment
Stories” and we see nary a peep from the MSM
along these line. When I was a kid, I recall how
a documentary about poverty in Appalachia
galvanized opinion that Something Needed to be
Done. And my childhood reaction appears to have
had some foundation;
<http://www.larchmontgazette.com/news/bernard-birnbaum-cbs-award-winning-producer-dead-at-89/>that
show influenced President Johnson’s War on
Poverty. So keeping unemployment an official but
depersonalized problem takes the urgency out of addressing it.

And if you have a long enough run of unemployment
and can’t afford to pay for shelter any more, and
don’t have family or friends who will take you
in, your choices are terrible. There are reasons
most homeless in New York City live on the
streets rather than go to shelters at night. One
of Lambert’s readers recounts her experiences
when she felt she had no choice other than go to
a homeless shelter. And this wasn’t in New York;
Lambert doesn’t know her story, but his
impression is that she is from the South, say
North Carolina, and worked in publishing or academia.

Hoisted from comments at Corrente,
“<http://www.correntewire.com/as_i_see_it_remember_the_old_days_before_social_security#comment-213309>There
are poorhouses today. They’re called homeless shelters.”

They’re as punitive and pitiless as the old style ones.
In my late fifties, with no prospect of
reemployment, I recently had my first experiences with two of these.
I’ve worked all my life and been my only support
all my life. It was my preference to do this,
rather than derive any part of my upkeep from the
wages of the person I slept with. My “crime” was
doing this while female. Since sex discrimination
has become legal again, I was forced out of a
profession that’s been redefined as historically
male, and have not been hired for female entry
level positions due to my age and “overqualified” background.
I did everything I could, including backpacking
into legal sites in the state parks in the
mountains here, to keep from going into a
shelter, but in the end could not even afford the
gas to drive the fifteen or so miles round trip
to the park from where any prospect of work
existed. (“Obamaville” tent villages are not
possible the way Hoovervilles were – the times
are so much more pitiless that almost every city
has ordinances against such places, and where
they’re allowed, they’re controlled to the point
of being worse than the shelters. The infamous
“tent in the woods” near any urban area is out of
the question for a woman unless she attaches
herself to a homeless male for protection).
The shelter itself was physically considered to
be one of the best in the state. It administers
most of the charitable and many of the government
resources for five counties. It is new, the
fixtures are more than adequate and the meals are
very good. A major problem was precisely the
punitive “poor house” attitude: the Calvinistic
view the women who administered the shelter had
towards those who needed its services (and those
women’s freedom to spend their time this way
depended on the high wages of the men -they-
slept with). Residents must line up to take a
breathalyser test in the common area when coming
in in the late afternoon, everyone must be inside
the shelter by 6:00 p.m., no one is allowed out
after that time without written permission, and
everyone is locked out of their rooms at 8:00
a.m. on weekdays and 9:00 a.m. on weekends.
Women’s rooms had four permanent beds and
lockers, but usually had two more folding beds
crammed into the walkway at the foot of the beds.
The men’s rooms were larger but had eight residents.
All the shelter’s maintenance, from cleaning to
cooking (when that was not done by church or
other charity groups) to grounds-keeping, was
done by the residents through required “chores”.
Every resident was required to “volunteer” for
one or more such chores every day or be made to
leave. I did not mind at all doing part of the
upkeep, but did mind the indentured labor aspect
of being made to do it. In addition,
administering such requirements became part of
the petty abuse the more vindictive of the
regular staff considered one of the major perks of their job.

Residents were required to work on a “plan”
towards permanent housing with one of the
administrators. Such “plans” necessarily required
a job. These women reproduced the sexism of the
larger society: in addition to there being more
beds for men than for women, living conditions
were kept as much as possible from interfering
with any man’s job who has one. Their “plans” for
men were much more realistic as well, in that the
men had more of a chance of finding work, even
when they had, as the majority there did, a
prison record. Their “plans” for women pretty
much amounted to: you screwed up by not selecting
a good enough (or any) husband, any job is better
than no job at all, no matter how ill paid,
discriminatory or demeaning, and your stay limit
without a job is 30 days. Their ranking for women
was below men in services, respect and resources
and within that ranking, women with children came
first and women without children were at the very bottom.
Uncontrolled aggression from other residents and
uncontained illness were the primary factors that
made living there not possible. There were
decent, generous, responsible residents, but not
unlike middle and high school, the lowest common
denominator ruled. Due, again, to the sexist
ranking of the administrators, I lost the job I
had found after a great deal of effort on my part
and no help at all on theirs. It was a suitably
gender stereotyped job cleaning bathrooms from 5
pm until 2 to 4 am at the local university’s
stadium after athletic events. Any man there who
had a second or third shift job was allowed
complete privacy to sleep during the day; the
rule was emphasized in the obligatory “house
meeting” held every evening. The administrators
kept letting a woman with a baby into my dorm
room for trivial reasons and allowed her to keep
me awake to the point where I had less than five
hours sleep in forty eight and could not work.
Their justification was that women with children
had priority for any reason, even though that was
supposed to be only an adult women’s room. They
had put a woman who had just had a miscarriage
into the family room, where this woman should
have gone, as “therapy” and because the other
woman with children did not want to share the
room with another child. They dismissed my need
to sleep for my job as “just shared living”
(always said with a smug little smirk by the
administrator) and said I could leave if I had a
problem with it. I was also attacked on other
occasions by two women who were later expelled
for being on illegal drugs; their initial
unprovoked aggression towards me was dismissed,
again with a smile, as “shared living”.
Women with dangerous mental problems were also
put into the regular woman’s dorm. One had kept
the other women in the room terrorized before I
stayed there. She also kept them up all night
because she alone was allowed to sleep there
during the day (due to her mental illness!),
while they had to be up and out on the streets or
at their jobs, as one resident was, by eight. She
had been committed before for cutting up
residents’ clothes with a knife; she was
recommitted again just after I got there.

The official policy towards aggression and
threats among residents was zero tolerance. The
actual policy was to let the rats eat the other
rats and to shoot the ones that came running to
the administrators. The administrators had their
favorites, usually those that made the class
divide most evident, and the less well off and
less educated paid staff did as well, usually
those most expert at currying favor and those
with whom they identified. The atmosphere
resembled a combination between what I imagine
prison must be and the type of unskilled job
where the boss just above entry level uses his or
her position more for petty gratification than anything else.
The justification certainly resembled those types
of jobs: “You can always leave if you don’ t like it”.
During the month I was there, I had maybe four
days where I got a solid eight hours sleep. I was
sleep deprived and hurting the days I could not
make it up in my car. I was also, as the cold
season hit in September, sick most days, as one
or the other of the women in my room always had
some virus and residents were almost never
allowed, even when sick, to stay in bed during the day.
After a month, I went to a women’s only shelter
in a larger city where I thought living
conditions and job prospects would be better. I
think I set the record for their shortest stay –
less than twelve hours. The administrators, again
educated professional level women, were great,
but the regular and after hours staff were worse
than the former shelter’s. Residents were
required not only to be out of their rooms during
the day, but to tell the desk attendant where
they were going during every part of the day.
They were required to sign in when they got back,
and -this was the worst part- to take a urine
drug test every day, or whenever the desk
attendant, whose day job really was as a prison
guard, felt like it. When she decided I needed to
be tested at the end of my first day and insisted
on remaining in the room where I was to do this,
I refused and was told to leave. She and the
other uneducated after-hours attendant took great
pleasure in making me pack my clothes into the
prototypical homeless black plastic bags, leaning
against the wall watching me the whole time,
telling me to get a move on and making the other
residents jump, obey them and get a move on too with they tried to talk to me.
Every other shelter in this region (southeast)
has the same demeaning requirements, and, I
imagine, the same vindictive staff and the same
pack behavior from the lowest common denominator
among the residents. Even without money, without
hope, without prospects, I have been physically
better off living in my tiny car and camping
where I can safely. I was well again two days
after leaving the last shelter and have gotten a
glorious eight hours sleep whenever I can be horizontal and warm enough.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6