GB way behind Slovenia in Democracy

mm at iniref.org mm at iniref.org
Mon Oct 1 13:42:34 BST 2012

*GB lags way behind Slovenia in Democracy*

In addition to regulation of political parties and parliament Slovenia's
Constitution of state contains several forms of direct democracy. These
enable the electorate to make proposals and to decide on some public
issues and laws in addition to electing MPs. Government law can also be
vetoed by citizens' referendum.

For instance, there is a citizens' right to call a referendum on any
issue which is the subject of regulation by law. For this 40,000
endorsements must be collected in support of a proposal. This is just
under 2.5 percent of the electorate.

In Britain (UK) an equivalent number is around 1.2 million electors
(voters).

We need a new *Democracy Act* of Parliament in order to introduced this
more advanced democracy in the UK and countries. Lobby your MP for this!

I&R ~ GB Citizens' Initiative and Referendum
Campaign for direct democracy in Britain
<http://www.iniref.org>
http://www.iniref.org/steps.html Basic presentation
http://www.iniref.org/case.html The case for more democracy
<http://www.iniref.org/carta.htm>  election campaign call /also for