Radical Simplicity and the Middle-Class

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Tue Oct 2 19:26:50 BST 2012

Not bad, but how can they write such a long article about "what next"
without talking about the critical role of land in this process of
transformation? -- and how access to land will be the critical part of who
can sustain their lifestyle versus those who will enter various levels of
shanty dependency around urban centres (which we see already in the
developing world today) when the "great dislocation" kicks off?

P.

http://permaculturenews.org/2012/09/28/radical%2Dsimplicity%2Dand%2Dthe%2Dmiddle%2Dclass%2Dexploring%2Dthe%2Dlifestyle%2Dimplications%2Dof%2Da%2Dgreat%2Ddisruption

Radical Simplicity and the Middle-Class – Exploring the Lifestyle
Implications of a ‘Great Disruption’

Permaculture Research Institute (Aus), September 28th 2012

How would the ordinary middle-class consumer – I should say middle-class
citizen – deal with a lifestyle of radical simplicity? By radical
simplicity I essentially mean a very low but biophysically sufficient
material standard of living, a form of life that will be described in more
detail below. In this essay I want to suggest that radical simplicity would
not be as bad as it might first seem, provided we were ready for it and
wisely negotiated its arrival, both as individuals and as communities.
Indeed, I am tempted to suggest that radical simplicity is exactly what
consumer cultures need to shake themselves awake from their comfortable
slumber; that radical simplicity would be in our own, immediate, self-
interests. In this essay, however, I will only defend the more modest
thesis that radical simplicity simply would not be that bad. Establishing
that thesis should be challenging enough.

{SNIP}

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc