Squatters move into former bank in Clifton

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Oct 9 11:42:07 BST 2012

Squatters move into former bank in Clifton
Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - by Pamela Parkes
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Squatters-bank-Clifton/story-17020741-detail/story.html
A group of squatters have moved into a former bank in Clifton.
They moved into the large building at 131,
Pembroke Road in the early hours of Sunday morning.
They claim they gained entry through an open
window at the back of the property.
Lloyds TSB have confirmed it is their building -
and the squatters claim the company hold the leasehold for it until 2018.
They say it was used as a private bank by Lloyds,
and that the freehold is owned by Coventry Diocese Finance Board.
Police attended on Sunday afternoon, but left
after confirming no damage had been caused to the
building, it was a commercial property and the occupation was a civil matter.
The squatters claim a security company also
attended the building but that no action to remove them had been taken.
In a statement the squatters said: "We needed a
place to live as our last squat is being evicted.
This building was too good to miss.
"We'd like to reassure our new neighbours our
temporary stay here will not be causing them any noise or nuisance.
"As a group of homeless people with no money
we're enjoying getting one back at the financial
system which always seems to get public money
thrown at it when they're in trouble."
Simon Jones is one of the squatters occupying the building.
In this video he claims the number of empty
office buildings in the city could be put to use
to house homeless people, and says squatting, for
the majority of people, is not a lifestyle choice:
A woman who lives near the squat, but who does
not want to be named, said:“I suppose I do
disagree with the balance of power that the banks
have got and this is another way of making a point.”
A resident who lives across the road said: “Not
everyone shares similar views, especially round
here, but how can I be against it? People need
somewhere to live. My personal opinion will not
go along with the general consensus I know that 100 per cent.
“Not all the neighbours are supportive but
everyone had a different view. Some people think
how squatters have always been treated with
stigma but my parents came from another country
for a better life so I always have an open mind
with anyone who is fighting a cause, but to me it
has to have a purpose and meaning behind it.
"If they leave the place in a mess and trash it
then nothing has been achieved and to me that is pointless.”
In the past two years, squatters have occupied a
number of buildings in Bristol, including the
house known as “Telepathic Heights” on Cheltenham
Road, Clifton Wood House, 19 Berkeley Square in
Clifton, 66 Queen Square, the “Red Factory” on
Portland Square and the Hobgoblin on the
Gloucester Road when it was awaiting refurbishment.
A new law came into force last month which means
that people who occupy residential properties
without permission could be jailed for six
months’ and/or be fined up to £5,000, as it is
now a criminal offence in England and Wales.
In the past, squatting was a civil matter, only
attracting police intervention if criminality was suspected.
But it is understood that the property in
Pembroke Road is classed as a commercial property
and therefore is not affected by the new law.