Land Trust & Housing Seminar, London, next week

lucca benney tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Oct 16 23:09:02 BST 2012

Interesting event in Westminster next week about
common ownership/ land trusts etc. I think you
have to register to go (link at the bottom of the
email). It would be a good place to link up with people.
Lxx

The Why, What and How of Trusteeship: 2-4pm
October 22nd, Grimond Room, Portcullis House, hosted by Michael Meacher MP

The Great Lakes Bioregional Trust: James B. Quilligan
Community Land Trusts for access to housing and farms : Martin Large
A new series of Quilligan seminars titled:
‘Exploring pragmatic ways the Commons can be
restored - Politically, Economically, Culturally' starts on the 22nd October.

After 12 successful seminars in May 2012 when we
explored alternatives to market choice and
government regulation, James Quilligan is back
with us in London to continue the exploration of
the Commons framework and to help move our action learning to the next level.
Michael Meacher described his own experience as a
participant In May with these words: "I thought
that was really very inspirational. I have been
in politics for a very long time. I don't think I
have been challenged by such radicalism as long
as I can remember, a radicalism that is not just
a fantasy but a radicalism tied down with quite
specific concepts that are going to be difficult
to actually bring about but which are, in the
long term, inevitable because I don't think the
world can go on in the way it does... I have
learned a huge amount. It is one of those
occasions where I feel we are just starting."

On the 22nd May we will show the why, what and
how of securing common pool resources such as
capital and land into trusteeship bodies,
community land, property and capital trusts-for
enduring community benefit and enterprise. How
land trusts provide deeply practical solutions
for resource management. Why they are beginning
to evolve into bioregional trusts, encompassing
large, transboundary ecosystems.

Examples will be given of the mutualisation and
neutralisation of land and capital into commons
bodies for community benefit and individual
enterprise at the international, national and
local levels. We will explore what communities,
government and social business can do to reclaim
and steward the commons of land and capital.

James Quilligan has served as policy advisor and
writer for many international politicians and
leaders, including Pierre Trudeau, François
Mitterand, Julius Nyerere, Olof Palme, Willy
Brandt, Jimmy Carter and His Royal Highness
Prince El Hassan. Quilligan is a co-founder of
Global Commons Trust and has also launched a
lobbying effort, Commons Action for the United
Nations (CAUN), which has been successful in
introducing the concepts of the commons into UN
discussions and documents. He is helping to
launch a trust for the Great Lakes ecosystem in Canada and the United States.

Martin Large advised the community buy out of
Fordhall Farm, chaired the  Community Land Trust
National Demonstration Project 2007-9, founded
Gloucestershire Land for People CLT, chairs
Stroud Common Wealth , is a visiting lecturer at
the University of Kent and directs the Biodynamic
Land Trust Ltd, a charitable community benefit
society. His book,  Common Wealth (2010) has
relevant chapters on Transforming Capitalism, and Land for People

More
details:
<http://www.schoolofcommoning.com/content/overview-october-2012-seminars>http://www.schoolofcommoning.com/content/overview-october-2012-seminars.
For any questions please ring Anna on 07731 584358.
To register:
<http://www.eventbrite.com/event/4362624728>http://www.eventbrite.com/event/436262472

The earth shall become a common treasury
for  us  all, as it was first made and given to
the sons and daughters of men and
women.        Gerard Winstanley, St Georges Hill, 1649