Powers to resist government compulsory purchase weakened

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Mon Oct 22 17:36:10 BST 2012

You have to be a bit of a planning geek to understand the relevance of
this. Expressed as a single sentence, this is one more shove to get the
imposed-from-above government development bulldozer on its way.

:-(

P.

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/news/1155755/

Powers to resist government compulsory purchase weakened

Michael Donnelly, Planning Resource, Friday, 19th October 2012

Powers that allow councils and other bodies to object to compulsory
purchase orders would be weakened under provisions in the Growth and
Infrastructure Bill.

The Bill amends the Planning Act 2008 to remove the ability of local
authority or statutory undertakers such as power companies to invoke a
special parliamentary procedure (SPP) if they object to an order to take
over their land.

This means the application has to be considered by a parliamentary
committee.

Department for Communities and Local Government guidance issued alongside
the bill said Parliamentary safeguards will be retained "for land with
genuinely ‘special’ historic protection, such as National Trust land,
allotments and common land."

Angus Walker, partner at law firm Bircham Dyson Bell said the use of special
parliamentary procedures could hold up major projects.

"The Rookery South energy from waste project in Bedfordshire was consented
on October 13 2011 and because the local authority objected to land being
compulsorily acquired it went to Parliament and it has been there ever
since. It’s been holding the whole thing up for over a year now", he said.

Another special procedure order concerning the proposed compulsory
acquisition of part of a recreation ground in Stevenage is also currently
before parliament.

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc