Referendum about independence but WHY ONLY THAT?

mm at iniref.org mm at iniref.org
Fri Sep 14 15:43:50 BST 2012

Referendum about independence but WHY ONLY THAT?

Scotland, we have been told, will in October 2014 hold a ballot to
decide whether or not to become in independent country. We will,
probably, be allowed to decide about this important matter in a
"referendum" because we voted into government a political party which
had promised to hold a referendum on this issue.

This sounds reasonable. Other nations and regions have held ballots in
order to become independent. Countries as different as Norway and
Eritrea gained independence with the aid of a ballot. The Canadian
province of Quebec voted (so far) against the idea.

To repeat, in Scotland We The People are to be "allowed" to decide a
most important matter of state constitution by means of direct
democracy.  BUT ... you may ask, why should our right to decide about
how our country is run be restricted to only this one issue? A
referendum of the whole electorate is certainly the most representative
way to decide on a law or an important reform.

Why do we not, in public matters of state and in affairs of local
government, begin to decide on a few other big issues using the direct
democratic method of referendum?

Citizens' Initiative and Referendum
Campaign for direct democracy
<http://www.iniref.org>