Life After Growth: Economics for Everyone

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sun Sep 23 06:38:39 BST 2012

http://vimeo.com/10871269

Life After Growth: Economics for Everyone

Directed, Written, Shot, and Edited by Leah Temper and Claudia Medina

IT'S TIME TO RECLAIM THE ECONOMY

The economic crash of 2008 revealed not only the frailty and vulnerability
of the economic system, it also showed the false basis that the growth
economy is built on – the financial bubble grows bigger and crashes bigger,
but we don't seem to be getting any happier. To the contrary, we suffer from
greater job insecurity and environmental chaos threatens.

The prescription from the mainstream economists is more growth – but is
this just taking more of what ails us?

Has growth become uneconomic?

Is there another way?

This film is part of an ongoing project to document the rise of a new
movement – calling not for more economic growth, but LESS. The degrowth
movement, or "mouvement por le decroissance", argues that through a
voluntary reduction of the economy we can work less, consume less and live
better, fuller lives.

Many have been pointing out that our current economic system is leading us
to an environmental and social catastrophe. "Life After Growth" begins to
point to the people and communities who are looking for ways out. These are
the pioneers who are rethinking the role of economics in our lives, and are
engaging in different types of economic activity, right now.

The D word is still taboo in many circles – politicians are loath to go
against the growth orthodoxy that our society is based on. But everywhere
people are engaging in degrowth type activity - the beginning of a wave
that is laying the groundwork for a post-capitalist future...

Because it's not the size of the economy that counts, it's how you use it!

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc