Behind Arab riots lie U.S. agricultural policies

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Sep 23 21:22:14 BST 2012

Behind Arab riots lie U.S. agricultural policies
By Thomas Kostigen  -  Reuters

Emacs!

Farmers harvest rice in El edoueh village, the
home town of Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, northeast of Cairo.

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (MarketWatch) — Money, land
ownership and micro-enterprises are behind the
riots plaguing the Middle East and North Africa.
And standing another step behind are U.S.
policies that disrupt people’s lives and darken rays of hope.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/behind-arab-riots-lie-us-agricultural-policies-2012-09-21
What’s occurred is the opposite of impact
investing — where capital is invested with social
enterprises that increase the quality of life and
standards of living, creating jobs and a sustainable, local economy.
The backlash by the Muslim segment of the Arab
world goes deeper than one recent, hateful film;
it goes back to 1992 when small farmers in Egypt
lost their land rights under a reform scheme
implemented by former President Hosni Mubarak.
U.S. intelligence officials are investigating
indications that al Qaeda's North African
affiliate is connected with militants involved in
the attack on a U.S. consulate in Libya. Siobhan
Gorman has details on Lunch Break.
As I wrote in a February 2011 column : “Guided by
what many say was U.S. and International Monetary
Fund influence, the country’s small farmers who
were ‘registered tenants’ became subject to rent
increases, in many cases triple what they had
been paying. As expected, these small farmers
couldn’t afford the steep rent increases and were
forced off their land. More than half of all
Egyptians live in the countryside, and millions
were forced into poverty. Moreover, Egypt itself
became more reliant on imports.”
Since, I’ve dug a little deeper. As small farmers
were forced into more urban and concentrated
settings, Egypt obviously lost much of its
ability to grow its own food. The U.S stepped in
with cheap, subsidized agricultural products such
as wheat. Staple foods such as bread are made
from wheat. According to the U.S. Department of
Agriculture, Egypt has been one of the fastest
growing markets for agricultural products since
2000, with imports up 300%. The U.S. is its biggest supplier.
It’s a great thing to provide food at cheap
prices to people. But once a population is hooked
on cheap food and then prices rise, as they have
to their all-time highs, a shift in mood should be expected.
The solution is to reverse course. Investments in
micro farming enterprises that would give people
back their land and their ability to grow food
(the types of initiatives that the Bill and
Melinda Gates Foundation, for one, supports)
should be heralded. We should be smothering the
Arab world with opportunity. It’s no time to
stand back and let people fester in the notion
that we don’t care, that we hate their biggest
religion, and that they are pawns in the hands of Big Ag.
We need to invest heavily in programs that foster
social change for the better if we are to produce
alliances with the Arab world and the Muslim
population, the fastest-growing populace. To do
nothing is to alienate entire countries and allow
the hate, violence, and prejudice against us to grow.
As the bombing in Libya and the riots have
proved, the Arab Spring has gone cold. Impact
investments combined with diplomatic entreaties
can make those in revolt warm to us.
There are plenty of impact investment funds and
programs that support small farmers. Their aims
should be directed more at the Middle East and
North Africa. Moreover, as plenty of research and
analysis show: agriculture is a strong growth
sector. Investing the right way can quell unrest
and bring about shared profits. That’s a much
better scenario that the explosive scenes playing out before us.