Sat18May - BURFORD - Levellers Day

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Apr 18 19:14:06 BST 2013

Levellers Day 2013

Doors are now open!
Volunteers required. Email marlox99 at btinternet.com
To make this year's event happen, we need more
people to come forward and help us make it the
special day it has been for many years. Please
E-mail us today to find out how you can help.

Saturday 18th May 2013. Burford, Oxfordshire.
http://www.levellers.org.uk/index.html
http://levellersday.wordpress.com/
____________________
In the main hall this year we have displays by
Oxford and District Trades Council and the Bristol Radical History Group

Oxford & District Trades Council:
Oxfordshire Struggles: Past and Present - brings
together an exhibition of struggle and collective
protest across the county. From the Levellers to
the current anti-cuts protests, Oxfordshire has a proud radical tradition.

Bristol Radical History Group.
Since 2006 Bristol Radical History Group have
held more than 200 events. Concerned with
'History from Below' they bring together academic
and community historians to explore how the lives
and struggles of ordinary people have shaped our
past and our present, and to remind us that
ordinary people have the power to shape the
future. Visit the Bristol Radical History Group website at www.brh.org.uk

____________________
Ticket prices:
Please note that we have again frozen tickets
prices. This is the third consequtive year
without any price increases. Our costs, however,
have continued to rise. Please bear this mind and
help us promote our event by telling your friends
and family to buy a ticket and come along. Thank you.

Whole day: £12 concessions
After 1pm: £8 concessions
Under 14s free
Tickets will be available online from
www.wegottickets.com or at the door.
____________________
On 17 May 1649, three soldiers were executed on
Oliver Cromwell's orders in Burford churchyard,
Oxfordshire. They belonged to a movement
popularly known as the Levellers, with beliefs in
civil rights and religious tolerance.
During the Civil War, the Levellers fought on
Parliament's side, they had at first seen
Cromwell as a liberator, but now saw him as a
dictator. They were prepared to fight against him
for their ideals and he was determined to crush
them. Over 300 of them were captured by
Cromwell's troops and locked up in Burford
church. Three were led out into the churchyard to be shot as ringleaders.
In 1975, members of the WEA Oxford Industrial
Branch went to Burford to reclaim a piece of
history that seemed to be missing from the school
books. They held a meeting in remembrance of the
Leveller soldiers. The following year, Tony Benn
came and read in the church and in each
succeeding year, people have come to Burford on
the Saturday nearest to 17 May, debated, held a
procession, listened to music and remembered the
Levellers and the importance of holding on to ideals of justice and democracy.
Be social, share us with your friends:
This years performers include:

Emacs!

LEVELLERS' DAY is a non-profit making event and
is organised by the Levellers' Day Committee,
affiliated to the WEA (Workers' Educational
Association) reg. charity no. 1112775