27/28April MANCHESTER Frack Off Gathering

Frack Off tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Apr 24 01:09:17 BST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Extreme Energy Gathering
<<mailto:info at extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk>info at extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk>
Date: Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 4:29 AM
Subject: Extreme Energy Gathering, Next Weekend
To: Extreme Energy Gathering
<<mailto:info at extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk>info at extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk>

Event: Extreme Energy Gathering
Dates: Sat/Sun 27/28th April 2013 (food and crash space available on Fri night)
Location: MERCi, Manchester, UK
Website:
<http://extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk/>extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk
E-mail:
<mailto:info at extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk>info at extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk

The Extreme Energy Gathering will bring together
diverse campaigns and communities that are
resisting extreme energy extraction methods for a
weekend of networking, strategising and sharing of skills and knowledge.

What is Extreme Energy?

Extreme Energy is the process where energy
extraction methods grow increasingly more intense
over time, as easier to extract resources are
depleted. Driven by unsustainable energy
consumption, the increased extraction effort is
resulting in growing destruction of both
communities and the environment. The local and
global environmental impacts are growing at a
frightening rate and are also accessing fossil
fuels which would previously left in the ground.
A number of new extraction methods threaten to
devastate our countryside, while increasing our
contribution to the global ecological crisis.
Extreme energy methods include bio-energy, coal
bed methane (CBM), new nuclear, opencast coal
mining, shale gas and oil, tar sands and underground coal gasification (UCG).

The Gathering

Empowering and connecting communities to resist
this destruction is crucial. The gathering aims
to provide a space to allow diverse campaigns to
meet, share information and support each other.
In particular it is intended to help network
traditional activists and people from threatened
communities. Priorities for the gathering include
developing shared narratives, a focus on
community organising, building stronger networks,
developing strategies/tactics and sharing skills
and knowledge. A programme for the weekend will
be appear on the website shortly.

Programme

See
<http://extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk/programme/>extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk/programme
for a rough outline of the programme for the weekend.

Practical Considerations

The Extreme Energy Gathering is taking place at
MERCi in Manchester on the weekend of 27/28th
April 2013. For individuals planning travel
arrangements, the Gathering will be starting at
10am on Saturday 27th (with tea and chitchat from
9:30am) and finishing 4.30pm on Sunday 28th
April. However crash space and food will be
available from 6pm on the Friday night (please
e-mail us if you are planning to arrive on
Friday). Food will be (breakfast, lunch and
dinner on Sat and breakfast and lunch on Sun) and
as well as crash space (a floor to sleep on) on
Sat night (bring sleeping bags and roll mats). A
limited number of beds will be available (please
e-mail us if need a bed). We are aiming to keep
costs to a minimum, but there will be a suggested
donation (hopefully less than £20) to cover food, venue hire etc.

Group Travel

In some areas group travel is being organised:
    * A minibus is being organised leaving from
Brighton on the Friday evening and and returning
on Sunday evening. A pick up point on the
outskirts of London may be possible. E-mail
<mailto:info at extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk>info at extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk
if you would like to book a place.
    * Frack Free Somerset are also organising a
number of car shares from the South West. Email
<mailto:info at frackfreesomerset.org>info at frackfreesomerset.org to book a place.

Please let us know as soon as possible if you
know of any other group travel being planned from
other areas of the country so we can help publicise it.

Help With Travel Cost

We are fortunate to have a limited amount of
money available to support travel to the
gathering by those people who might otherwise not
be able to attend. If you would like to apply please fill in this form:

<http://extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk/travel-bursary-requests/>extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk/travel-bursary-requests

below and we will get in touch with you shortly.
All information provided will be treated in strict confidence.

Directions

The venue is the Bridge 5 Mill run by MERCi (the
Manchester Environmental Resource Centre). The
closest train station is Manchester Piccadilly
(0.8 miles, 17 min walk). National Express
coaches stop at the Central Coach Station
(Chorlton Street – 1.1 miles, 23 min walk) and
Megabus coaches stop at Shudehill Interchange
(1.2 miles, 25 min walk). The address is Bridge 5
Mill, 22a Beswick Street, Ancoats, Manchester, M4
7HR. For full directions for getting to MERCi
visit: <http://www.merci.org.uk/visiting>www.merci.org.uk/visiting

MERCi is an independent charity which runs a
number of sustainability projects. The
organisation also manages Bridge 5 Mill,
Manchester’s most sustainable conference centre.

Spread The Word

Please let any groups or individuals that you
think would be interested know about the
gathering. A pdf of the gathering poster/flyer
can be found here:
<http://extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/extreme-energy-gathering.pdf>extreme-energy-gathering.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/extreme-energy-gathering.pdf

--
Web: <http://frack-off.org>frack-off.org
Facebook: Frack Off (UK) Twitter: frack_off

+44 (0)7786 952037
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.dialectradio.co.uk
Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org