Sat11-Sun19May LONDON Open House, solving the housing crisis

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 30 09:06:11 BST 2013

 Open House is a nine-day space in May that will bring together people
facing the housing crisis across London to organise and take action around
our collective housing needs.

Open House will run from Saturday 11th May to Sunday 19th May at a London
location to be revealed closer to the time. Whether you’re a council tenant
facing the bedroom tax or a squatter threatened with eviction, a private
renter dealing a dodgy landlord or a member of housing co-op fighting to
survive – this space is for you.

The housing crisis affects all of us. The bedroom tax and housing benefit
caps are starting to bite, squatting derelict buildings is being
criminalised, the rents are rising exponentially, and many people are being
forced from their homes by landlords, local councils, bailiffs and police.

We can no longer afford for housing to be an individual problem. Open House
is a space to come together to organise around our collective housing
needs, share stories and tactics. Together, we can build a movement of
practical solidarity to resist social cleansing and gentrification, and
reclaim housing and the city for the people who live in it.

Open House will involve a programme of workshops, skillshares, talks and
films based around three themes: housing; who owns the city
(gentrification); and access to land. So come down to a skillshare on legal
observing, a workshop on how to set up a housing co-op, a Q&A session on
tenants’ rights, a talk on gentrification, a game of capture the flag, or
just for a cup of tea and a chat.
Find out more | http://openhouse2013.com/
Follow us on Twitter | @OpenHouseLDN <https://twitter.com/OpenHouseLDN>
Like us on Facebook | Open
House<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Open-House/502809233102088>

If you have a proposal for a session you would like to run at Open House
then please get in touch with us at openhouse.ldn at gmail.com to discuss this
further.