VIDEO: Neighbours' support for care home 'squatters'

Zardoz tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Aug 3 11:33:15 BST 2013

VIDEO: Neighbours' support for Plymouth care home 'squatters'
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/VIDEO-Neighbours-support-care-home-squatters/story-19603875-detail/story.html#axzz2atuNI7mE
Friday, August 02, 2013

Plymouth Herald By LISA CLARK @lisaclarkherald

TWO former carers squatting in their old place of work are continuing their sit in ­ supported by neighbours.

As reported in yesterday's Herald whistleblowers Rosemary Parker and Launa Llewellyn-Jones are squatting in Park View care home in Plymouth and have now been there for three days.

They hope their drastic measure will force their former boss into paying them the £40,000 he was ordered to cough up at a tribunal. People living near to now defunct Peverell care home have been supporting the women by giving them food and drinks and keeping them company.

Owner, Nick Chapman, said he would be seeking an urgent injunction to force the women out. But he was unavailable for contact yesterday.

Rosemary said: "We've not heard anything or been told by the court to get out so we're assuming he hasn't done it yet.

"The neighbours here have been brilliant. They've been helping us protest in the street with our posters.

"We're quite prepared to stay here for as long as it takes ­ weeks or even months."

The Care Quality Commission (CQC), the health watchdog, took enforcement action against Park View and Southview in May, after inspectors found that medicines were not being administered properly. Both homes are owned by Mr Chapman's company, Ashley Residential Care Limited, whose registered office is in Torquay.

In early July, a few weeks after the CQC reports, Plymouth City Council's safeguarding team stepped in and moved out the elderly residents from the two homes.

The action came in the wake of whistle-blowing in February by employees Mrs Parker and Ms Llewellyn-Jones.