Travelling Daze: Words and Images from UK's Travellers & Festivals

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Aug 11 21:12:31 BST 2013

Travelling Daze: Words and Images from the UK's
New Travellers and Festivals, Late 1960s to the Here and Now (2012)
http://www.enablerpublications.co.uk/pages/travelling_daze.htm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Travelling-Daze-Images-Travellers-Festivals/dp/0952331691/

Emacs!

A real 'wow, amazing' kind of book. A4 landscape,
full colour, around 200 pps packed with over 600
pics, artwork, images and hundreds of tales from
the festivals, park-ups, roadsides, sites and conflicts with police.

  It's a full-on roller-coaster ride. Good times,
bad times and ones in between. Even the
contributors are saying: "Can't wait to see it all."
  Joe Public: "It's wicked. It's a corker."

"I absolutely loved site living...you could pull
up at any site, anywhere, and within a couple of
days you would know who was who." Nicki Turton

Steve Bubble remembers,"The sheer excitement,
anything could happen andoften did."

The year after the Beanfield, Taff the Photo
reminisces: "After a few hours stand-off, the
police started arresting everybody for
obstruction of the highway, despite that it was
them that had blocked the road in the first
place. This turned into the largest mass arrest
in UK history, about 900 I believe."

Margaret Greenfields, remembering helping
organise the Festival Welfare Services: "They
were great days – we did some fantastic things – and I don't regret a moment."

Alan Dearling has worked with the other
contributors over the last four years to gather
the contributions in (and write his own).
Broadly, 'Travelling Daze' kicks off with the
people, places, festivals, and some of the music
from the hippy late-'60s through the free
festivals of the seventies and early eighties. We
meet Wally Hope and Sid Rawle. Read their own
words, many of which have never been seen before.
Add a spice of punk and some reggae herbs to the
mix. Then stir in some road protestors, real mud,
and more than a few eco-warriors. Buzz: "Everyone
looks after each other. It's just like a massive
family...You just can't beat it...You own your
own home...I love it. Only way I know really."

Along came rave, and with it, plenty of
techno-rebels. More new people; more new
Travellers. The Travellers were loathed and
reviled by Maggie, and successive governments
made every attempt to criminalise the travelling
life style with Criminal Justice Acts in 1986 and
1994. They failed. Many of the older new
Travellers are still sharing their skills,
attitude, madness and mayhem. The Tribes are
strong. They've mutated and are pretty much
flourishing. And they are still with us in the
midst of the current festival and party scene.
Years in the living. Now you can share it; in
Living Technicolour, the lives and times of many
of the UK's most colourful characters.

‘Endure, Adapt, Evolve’ (or, Emerge, Mutate,
Flourish) A kind of Intro...Alan Dearling
Wally Hope

In the beginning, there was Phil Russell...
  Alan Dearling

  Keeping Hope alive: Then, now and into our
futures. A personal account by Dean Phillips,
custodian of the Wally Hope Appreciation Society

  Wally in ‘others’ words’. A further excursion into Wally Worlds from Alan

Life with the Convoy: to Stoney Cross and Beyond...Amanda (Gemini)

David Stooke: Traveller artist. Includes Green
Lane by Reg Desborough, Spider by DiceGeorge and Phil the Beer by Andy Hope.

Festival Welfare Services – the early years: a
personal memoir by Margaret Greenfields and Yvonne Doyle

George Firsoff (1944-2004)...Alan Dearling

Life after Newbury...provided by Pete Sheppard

Twice Blessed: Born a Traveller...Ferdia Earle

People are the best part of nature. Painting by Elizabeth Anderton

Sid Rawle

Sid Rawle...compiled by Alan Dearling

Sid’s place in Traveller history...Andy Worthington

Some more observations about Sid...Alan Dearling (with Jeremy Sandford)

The Vision of Albion by Sid Rawle as told to Jeremy Sandford

Some memories of travelling days...Nicki Turton

Memories of free festivals and travelling scene...Steve Bubble

A sense of community by Liz

Hawkwind: a few words about the ultimate Traveller band...Alan Dearling

You could live like that...Netty Miles

Taff the Photo – bits of my history

The Levellers: There's only one way of life, And
that's your own...Alan Dearling

Travelling Bands: Music and Festivals within new
Traveller Culture 1995-2011...Sam Wilkinson

Epilogue: Affinities...Alan Dearling

Plus:

Stonehenge Free Festival illustration...Gary (Teapot Circus)

Westbury White Horse 1985 illustration...Gary (Teapot Circus)

More artwork from David Stooke, Joe Public, Gubby
and additional pics by many people, especially
Taff the Photo and Traveller Dave Fawcett, and
more including those from Chazz Pink; Nigel
Ayers; Fiona Earle, Rob Large; Flash Harry;
Frank; Carol Waller, Graeme Strike, Matt Smith and other travelling friends.
Dedicated to all of the UK’s Travellers.
Those who have sadly left us,
those who have found different homes,
and those who are still keeping the faiths.
Travelling Daze
Words and images from the UK's new Travellers and
festivals, late 1960s to the here and now

Alan Dearling, with Traveller friends

Price: £16.50 plus £3.50 p&p in UK - (select
region below for additional postal charges to other countries)
  'Tis a big bugger...

isbn: 978-0-9523316-9-8

An Enabler Publication