Recovery? Homelessness up along with house prices in SE UK

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Dec 5 13:20:42 GMT 2013

Homelessness rises along with house prices in London and south-east

Number of households accepted as homeless rises
13% in a year in capital, with many unable to afford new leases
    *
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/05/http://www.theguardian.com/profile/randeepramesh>Randeep
Ramesh and
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/05/http://www.theguardian.com/profile/harriet-meyer>Harriet
Meyer  -
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/05/http://www.theguardian.com/>theguardian.com,
Thursday 5 December 2013 12.17 GMT
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/05/homelessness-rises-house-prices-london-south-east

Rising
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/05/http://www.theguardian.com/money/houseprices>house
prices in
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/05/http://www.theguardian.com/uk/london>London
and the south-east have seen sharp increases in
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/05/http://www.theguardian.com/society/homelessness>homelessness,
official figures have revealed.

Councils accepted 57,350 households as being
homeless and placed them in temporary
accommodation – including hotels and bed and
breakfasts – in September 2013, a figure 8%
higher than during the same period in 2012. More
than two-thirds of these homeless households
contained children or pregnant women.

The new data revealed that there were now 2,100
homeless families living in emergency B&Bs, the highest number for a decade.

With the numbers of people in "priority need"
falling – essentially a measure of how many
single people applied for help – the government
could point to a fall in numbers "accepted as
owed a main duty under homelessness legislation".
This figure dropped 4% to 13,330 between 1 July and 30 September 2013.

However, the role of the capital in these figures
reveals the effect of the buoyant
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/05/http://www.theguardian.com/society/housing>housing
market in London. In London, the number of
households accepted as being owed a main
homelessness duty was 4,410 – an increase of 13%
from 3,900 during the same quarter a year
earlier. The city now accounts for 33% of the England total.

Charities point out that with rents rising in the
capital, the effect is that many cannot afford to
renew leases on homes. These households end up
turning to the local authority for help – which
has no council or social housing available and is
forced to place people in hotels as a "temporary" solution.

The figures show that in London, the main reason
for the loss of a last settled home was the
ending of an assured shorthold tenancy at 1,440 –
a third of the capital's acceptances.

Leslie Morphy, chief executive officer at the
homelessness charity Crisis, said: "With a third
of all new cases of homelessness coming from
London, this shows the dark side of the capital's
housing boom. Soaring prices and increased demand
combined with cuts to housing benefit are pushing people into homelessness.

"They are falling out of the private rented
sector at an accelerating rate and, if they are
lucky, joining the growing numbers in temporary
accommodation, whilst growing numbers of others
deemed 'not a priority' are left to fend for themselves.

"We need the government to address the chronic
lack of affordable housing, to take real steps to
improve the private rented sector and to urgently
consider the impact its housing benefit cuts are
having, particularly in the capital."

Shelter said the statistics meant nearly 85,000
children in Britain faced waking up homeless on
Christmas morning. It warned that as the rising
cost of living and cuts to the housing safety net
continued to take their toll, many more parents
were likely to find themselves facing an ongoing
struggle to keep a roof over their children's heads.

Campbell Robb, Shelter's chief executive, said:
"These new figures are even worse than we expected.

"It is an absolute disgrace that thousands of
children in Britain face waking up homeless this
Christmas morning. We'll be there to help make
sure families get the support they need to get
back on their feet, but we need to see the
government rebuild our shredded safety net so
it's there to catch families who fall on hard times."

Already taking more than 470 calls a day to its
helpline, Shelter is now bracing itself for an
increase in demand for its advice services this
Christmas, particularly given the 15% rise in the
number of calls received during December last year.

Jo-ann, a GP receptionist from Hillingdon, and
her seven-year-old son were made homeless after
they were evicted by their landlord and unable to
find anywhere else to live. They are now living
in a B&B in Hounslow and facing the prospect of being homeless this Christmas.

Jo-ann said: "It's so hard to give him a balanced
diet as it's impossible to make proper meals
here, let alone a Christmas dinner. He's getting
really pale and is so tired all the time. He gets
so scared but it's difficult when I'm scared
myself. This is no place for a child to live.
We're desperately hoping we won't be here for Christmas."

Many others in the housing sector say the real
concern lies ahead – with a "perfect storm of
cuts, inflation and shortage of supply" in the next two years.

Howard Sinclair, chief executive of the charity
Broadway Homelessness and Support, said: "There
is a perfect storm coming over the next 18
months. Welfare reforms, reductions in
homelessness services and the increased cost of
living will inevitably lead to more pressures on
individuals and families, particularly the
poorest and most vulnerable in society. These
pressures are all too likely to lead to tenancy
breakdown, homelessness and for some, rough sleeping.

"Problems will be compounded as more people get
into debt, and this is especially difficult in
London and the south-east due to the serious lack
of properties available for people to live in.
Inevitably, and sadly, the numbers of homeless
people will go up and we are already seeing this."

Kevin Williamson, head of policy for the National
Housing Federation, said: "Homelessness is the
bleakest face of our housing crisis and this rise
is a real concern. To rid us of this problem we
urgently need to build more homes that people can
afford – particularly for low-income families who
are forever struggling with rising housing costs.

"Until we have the right homes in the right
places at the right prices we will still need
emergency accommodation to house those that find
themselves in a sudden and desperate need of
shelter. Temporary accommodation must be
protected so that people made homeless can live
in secure and affordable homes until they get themselves back on their feet."