Independent On Sunday: House price rises are not growth

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Dec 8 08:38:19 GMT 2013

Sunday 8 December 2013

There's too much reliance on house prices for growth

As the market continues to improve at a rapid
rate, consumers are spending more - but a sharp
rise in interest rates could make the bubble burst again

Another boom in house prices – followed by the
inevitable bust? Or a series of steady but modest
increases, reflecting the growth in the
population and real demand for somewhere to live?
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/theres-too-much-reliance-on-house-prices-for-growth-8990742.html

It matters hugely. It matters for the economic
recovery. The present buoyant growth is driven by
rising consumer spending, and that, in part at
least, is on the back of the wealth effect
generated by higher house prices. If the value of
people's assets rise they feel more comfortable
about spending more, even if that means running
down other savings. This is the "wrong sort of
growth" worry, which is genuine enough even if a
lot of us think we should not be too picky right now. Any growth will do.

It also matters socially. The boom/bust cycle
redistributes wealth in a capricious and unfair
way. It is pretty much pure luck on when people
reach the stage of buying their first home. Hit
the market in a dip and you are well ahead for
life; hit it at peak and you are struggling for a
decade or more. But the steady rise also
redistributes wealth, and one of the criticisms
of these very low interest rates is that by
boosting house prices they redistribute wealth to
the already wealthy. They also shift it from the
young to the old and from renters to owners.

It matters geographically. The surge of prices in
the South-east and the capital, particularly
prime London, has the effect of redistributing
wealth from north to south. The main reason this
is happening is the stronger job market in the
south, so the differential movement in house
prices is principally a reflection of what is
happening in the economy rather than a cause of
it. But there is a feedback loop in that the need
for more homes in the south further increases
jobs and economic activity there. Three-quarters
of the cranes in the UK are in London and the Home Counties.

So what's to be done? Well, the first thing is to
recognise that this is bigger than government. No
government can control house prices. Sensible
macroeconomic policies will contain booms and
reduce the impact of slumps, but the general
level of prices will be set by supply and demand.
However at the margin, policy can help – or otherwise.

That leads to an important principle: do no harm.
Do not artificially stoke up a house price boom.
Stopping the Funding for Lending scheme for
mortgages and restricting it to business lending
removes one source of potential harm. As for Help
to Buy, the best thing that can be said about it
is that given the size of the housing market, it
probably is not big enough to do too much harm.

Nor can governments do much about demand for
homes. The UK population is rising by about
400,000 a year, and you don't need to be a wizard
at maths to figure out that we are likely to have
to fit in another four million people over the
next 10 years. Maybe inward migration will fall a
little but it is just as likely to increase.
Maybe we could use our existing housing stock
more efficiently, and one effect of high prices
is to pressure us to do so. But that is a
short-term fix. People like space. Cramming them
together is not a recipe for social harmony at
either domestic or national level.

So we have to increase supply. A fair bit of the
Chancellor's Autumn Statement last week was
devoted to that. In one sense we are lucky in
that there is some space. We are not Hong Kong,
even Japan. But building decent, pleasant,
stylish homes in places where people want or need
to live is a challenge. We have made huge errors
in home-building in the 1960s and 1970s, with all
those tower blocks that are now being pulled
down. It would be nice to think that we are doing
better now, but since we seem to be building the
smallest homes in Europe, I fear we are repeating
the mistakes of the past, albeit in slightly different form.

Let's assume, though, that we can increase supply
a bit, and let's assume that the forthcoming rise
in interest rates is gradual and restrained. What might this mean for prices?

Here we step into a minefield. Anyone saying
anything about the future of house prices is
liable to have their predictions blow up in their
face. They are up 8 per cent over the past year.
Few predicted that. The Office for Budget
Responsibility has increased its own projections
sharply, expecting annual increases of between 3
and 7 per cent through to 2018. Who knows? What I
think you can say is that homes will continue to
bear some relationship to earnings and that there
seems to be a bottom band of about three times
earnings and a top band of five times, maybe six.
We are pretty much at the top of that band now.
While houses are reasonably "affordable" in the
sense that low interest rates have cut monthly
repayment rates, they could quickly become less so when rates rise.

Some have argued that the weight of personal debt
is so great that the authorities cannot increase
interest rates by much. That might be wishful
thinking. However, given this burden of debt,
quite a small increase of rates would be
effective in holding down house prices. That
leads to a common-sense conclusion. It is that
house prices will not be allowed to go mad again,
or at least not until the recent bubble becomes a
distant memory. But they are not going to fall
much either, for the underlying demand is far too strong.